Rubber vs Braided Hoses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wasn't sure if the sheath on my shears would hold it, but I'll try that.

So for the long hose, I just keep a bolt snap on my right D ring in case I need to stow it, right? And the short hose has no bolt snap, just the necklace holder?

So for the long hose, I just keep a bolt snap on my right D ring in case I need to stow it, right? And the short hose has no bolt snap, just the necklace holder?

The bolt snap should be tied to the long hose just above where it connects to the regulator. That is then snapped to the right d-ring if needed. Honestly for a recreational dive I have no problem going without the snap. There's not much use for it when you're not switching to stage or deco bottles.

As for the short hose, you're correct.

You don't really anything there, just tuck it in the waist strap, works just fine.

To clarify, you keep the bolt snap on the HOSE, not the D-ring, it's tied to the hose. I find it useful even on my single tank set up, much easier to secure the second stage when not diving, also, when on the surface waiting for the boat for instance.

I tried the tuck in waist band, and hated it. I added a oms horizontal pocket on the right side of waist band, in place of the can light and loved it. It also provided storage that was not available on my drysuit.
Eric

That works as well. What will really work best is for the OP to get with a good tech instructor.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

I know you already bought your hoses, but I use braided for all my hoses and don't have any issues. I'm tall, so that might account for why the long hose isn't a problem. I use a strain relief near the second stage of the long hose to give me something to hold onto when donating. Works like a champ.

Glad to see you made the decision you did. Just some additional information for anyone visiting this thread with a similar question. I've had braided hoses kink on me enough to cut the air supply off from the 2nd stage regulator completely. This has happened on 3 occasions during dives and I can easily demonstrate it on the surface. When a long hose is deployed, if there's a coil somewhere in the hose and it gets pulled on enough, it will kink and stop air movement. I had this happen to me a couple months ago with a student. I initiated an out of air drill and couldn't get a breath from his regulator. I pushed the hose back toward him to relieve the tension on it and was able to breathe. This was not the first time I've seen this just the most recent and the only time it actually happened to me rather than one of my students.

I used a 15cm/6 inch HP Miflex. It was so thin and easy to bend that it eventually failed at its root. All three failed, actually.

Miflex HP hoses were notorious for bursting! I had one and swapped it before it happened.

I would prefer a stiffer longhose in the future.

I think it happens to all with a certain age :D

The braid provides the following disadvantages
- is less flexible

If there's one thing they are is more flexible.

I have a miflex for wing inflator and it works great. They are good when a bit more flexibility is needed. Although my 2m primary is on a rubber hose (which also sets when coiled, although less than the miflex), I tried today a miflex and liked it. I guess shorter people may have more trouble with it floating around, but for my height, it get's stowed easily.
I also have on on a stage and although I like it a lot when using it because it allows for the reg to come easily around the head, it is harder to re-stow it. But not difficult to overcome if instead of trying to push the hose past the rubber bands one pulls it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom