Rubber vs Braided Hoses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FWIW just had a braided HP hose (22-inch) develop a leak at the crimp end.

Exactly 3yrs old and I'd say between 100-200 dives on this regulator set. I don't have any other braided HP hoses for comparison (I use mini SPGs mostly). Mind you, this is generic braid (not the branded Milflex etc - but then they've had some issues too).

I don't consider this lifecycle to be acceptable - esp. since I look after my kit. The replacement is a rubber hose. Let's see how long that lasts : )

In fairness, I haven't had any issues with the LP braided hoses and I've got many of them in all lengths.

I'll chime in, just in case others read the thread and want opinions.

I use rubber hoses, simply because I've seen some wear on dry suit neck seals of buddies that were using miflex hoses.
I don't see any advantages from using miflex hoses that make it worth dealing with messing with my neck seal.

Some people like the fact that you can get hoses in different colors, but it's not a selling point for me personally.

Cheers,
Mitch

Sorry for my ignorance and intromission in the tech section but I see it is mention of 7' and 84" hoses, I appreciate one of you bring some light on why so long o a hose ???

Sorry for my ignorance and intromission in the tech section but I see it is mention of 7' and 84" hoses, I appreciate one of you bring some light on why so long o a hose ???

A 7 foot hose allows for gas sharing when in tight spaces like caves or wrecks and also makes things more comfortable in open water.
It is used tucked under the torch canister (or if not using one can for example be under belt knife), passing in front of the torso, around the neck and to the mouth.

I've had a Miflex hp hose leak at the crimp also, and the abrasion on the neck seals. Plus I don't like how they hang up in hose retainers on stage/deco tanks.

Rubber it is. You can get yellow, green and orange rubber hose if that's an issue. However I find the yellow rubber hose gets floaty if it's used as a 7' hose. YYMV.

I don't seem to have any trouble with the braided LP hoses...:idk: And like them...

Jim...

That works as well. What will really work best is for the OP to get with a good tech instructor.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Even though this is an old thread, the above is the best advice for the type of additional questions that were being asked by the OP. Hopefully he found such a person and a group of divers that will help him during his journey Techdom.

The Miflex hoses seemed like a good idea, but as time goes buy it hate it especially the long hose. I will replace my long hose with rubber, waiting for my order to arrive. I still use a short HP hose in miflex which behave OK, so that will stay. The say if something aint broken, dont fix it. The rubber hose is a prime example.

I feel like the woven hose for the primary second stage makes the regulator lighter and more comfortable and easier to turn the head etc. I use an old, heavy, all metal second stage, but with the woven hose it feels very comfortable. The hose is weightless or maybe even floats and bends easier.

If I had a problem with abrasion, I think I would just wrap some electrical tape around the section of hose where the contact was made.

I've been using the DRIS braided long hose for about a year and I find it great for traveling since it rolls up very compactly and weighs less than the rubber hose. In terms of using it, I've had no issues with it. I find that when you first remove it from a rolled up position (in a reg bag or clipped off on a D-ring), you have to just let it hang and un-kink for a second, and it loses it's "memory". It's then straight and acts perfectly normally. I haven't found it to be floaty in any of a variety of conditions. In the water, I find it to be the same as a rubber hose.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom