@rse before T't

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nessy

Registered
Reaction score
All

I am a total underwater photography virgin and I have gone about my purchases a bit back to front (as per my subject title).

I recently bought a Samsung Digimax V4 which was well rated in the usual magazines. Luckily they manufacture a housing which is w/proof to 70m - handy! I am just about to order the housing but I am quite paranoid about it flooding. Should I be unduly worried about flooding if I am careful? Other than being thorough/careful with the O ring, are there any other precautions I can take to prevent this from happening?

Also, has anyone had positive/negative experiences getting insurance payouts for flooding?

Thanks for any hints/tips

I don't think you'll ever loose the feeling of "is this the time it will flood" -- I certainly haven't

I use DEPP, and actually had to send my (sob sob) flooded camera for repair. DEPP refers you to a camera repair operator, you send the camera, they do their magic (or get you the replacement) and send you back a camera. My experience was actually quite pleasant. When I contact the camera repair shop on the status at one point, when they found out I was heading on a dive vacation, they offered to send me a loaner!

Tips:
- periodicaly test the housing integrity by just diving with the housing (no camera).

- cherish your o-rings. Keep them clean. Always have a spare set

First, get insurance flood coverage. Develope an anal attitude about maintaining your housing and O-rings. Don't get rushed. I always do my maintainence in the evening when I can take my time and pay attention to what I'm doing. It helped me when I first started to make a list of what and how to do it and in what order. I used that list until I had it ingrained in my brain! There have been quite a few times that I left the camera behind if I felt rushed in preparing it....it's just not worth the alternative!

If you've done your careful preparations and you have you insurance coverage in place, the rest is out of your hands so don't worry about it any more. Just get in the water and enjoy!

Dee once bubbled...
. . . when I first started to make a list of what and how to do it and in what order. . .

Do you still have that list? Care to share it?

Do you do things any differently when in salt or fresh water?

I don't have a physical list anymore but I'll sit down and make you a list from memory when I have time later today. Remind me!

When in salt water, I make sure my housing never gets dry until it's had a very thorough fresh water soaking. If I can't have it in a camera bucket by itself, or my collapsable cooler, then I keep it wrapped in a wet towel. It doesn't matter if that towel is wet with salt or fresh water, the important part is that it be kept wet.

When you soak it in fesh water, push all the buttons to flush out any saltwater in the fittings before the o-ring. Dry completely with a soft rag or towel before opening the housing.

I'd love a peak at that list as well if you don't mind.

Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom