Routing an SPG along the shoulder webbing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Almost. How tight a tunnel or restriction is a matter of degree. If it is really tight, I don't thave stage bottles still attached. In that case the SPG would drag on the chest D-ring so in that case, it will be on the hip D-ring.

If it is tight enough to transit with stage(s) attached, it may be too tight to easily dig out the SPG, so in that case it makes snese ot have it on the chest D-ring.

My SPG's do not look exactly alike, and even if they did it is easy to tell which ones are on stages. But for arguments sake, yes if the non in use SPGs are facing away you won't mistake one for the other.

And why, exactly, would you need to look at your backgas spg if you're on a stage going through a restriction?

And why, exactly, would you need to look at your backgas spg if you're on a stage going through a restriction?

Because it is impolite to stare at it? :D

Is it a reading issue or a comprehension issue with you? Or are you just trying to pick a fight?

Clearly, what I said was that with the SPG on a chest D-ring (as I'd prefer to do in a small tunnel) it tends to hang and drag in a tight restriction. (You do acknowledge that small tunnels do at times become tight restrictions right?) In that case I will move the SPG to the hip D-ring. I'm not sure where you brought the stage into this. If the restriction is large enough to go through with a stage, having the SPG on the chest D-ring is not going to cause a problem as the stage will clearly be lower than the SPG.

Try a little harder to stay with the train of thought, okay?

----

In regard to checking the SPG fairly often, it's a personal preference but I like to check the SPG at various navigation points - you know exactly what you used in terms of times and pressures on the way in and it gives a good esitmate of what to expect on the way out. It possibly a hold over from years spent doing pilot ****, but it appeals to me.

For those who find their SPG's slightly below the body's profile, when going through a tight space, you can slip the SPG up under your plate. While having your gear totally cave-tuned is your best choice, sometimes a spare SPG hose or the only available replacements are slightly too long to be perfectly sized. This trick temporarily sorts out the issue.
Where it tends to drag in tight spaces when it is on the chest D-ring, which is the motivation to move it to the hip D-ring.

Many divers in my opinon could stand to move the hip D-ring a bit aft of center to keep the SPG from hanging too low.

The general point here as it relates to this thread is that with an SPG in the traditional location with a traditional hose, you have the flexibility to slip it on the hip, clip it on the chest D-ring or as you suggest, slip it under the plate. That gives you a lot more options than an SPG on a shorter hose routed along a shoulder strap.

In regard to checking the SPG fairly often, it's a personal preference but I like to check the SPG at various navigation points - you know exactly what you used in terms of times and pressures on the way in and it gives a good esitmate of what to expect on the way out. It possibly a hold over from years spent doing pilot ****, but it appeals to me.

When cave diving, I do exactly that myself. Features of the cave, depth and directional changes and the behavior of my buddy will prompt me to check. I'll often find myself checking equipment and SPG when waiting for a buddy to perform a task such as deploy a spool or study the cave.

Where it tends to drag in tight spaces when it is on the chest D-ring, which is the motivation to move it to the hip D-ring.

Many divers in my opinon could stand to move the hip D-ring a bit aft of center to keep the SPG from hanging too low.

The general point here as it relates to this thread is that with an SPG in the traditional location with a traditional hose, you have the flexibility to slip it on the hip, clip it on the chest D-ring or as you suggest, slip it under the plate. That gives you a lot more options than an SPG on a shorter hose routed along a shoulder strap.

I agree with moving the D-ring back aft of center. Mine sits close to my plate. I replaced my hose once at Cave East. The only HP hose available was just a hair long with my D-ring near the plate.

If it is tight enough to transit with stage(s) attached, it may be too tight to easily dig out the SPG, so in that case it makes snese ot have it on the chest D-ring.

That's where I got it from.

No fight at all, but lets make sure we're on track. I think thats an invalid reason to have it on the chest, and here's why:

If you're on a stage in a cave, you're breathing it (unless there is a short period of time when you're swimming to a drop point). If you're breathing the stage, the backgas spg is irrelevant. Plus, if the cave is so tight that you can't get to your spg, dragging a stage through that section is clearly not the best course of action.

The entire scenario seems made up and doesn't reflect real life.

However, you are spot on in regards to checking the spg at waypoints in your diving (nav decisions, prominent features, certain time intervals, etc).

When cave diving, I do exactly that myself. Features of the cave, depth and directional changes and the behavior of my buddy will prompt me to check. I'll often find myself checking equipment and SPG when waiting for a buddy to perform a task such as deploy a spool or study the cave.

As I do a lot of compass nav. diving, at every nav. waypoint I note location, pressure, time, depth, usually temp, heading changes and (if I know) distance on my wrist slate. Makes it very easy to check my SAC/RMV for different types of activity later, as well as providing a reminder during the dive should I suffer from a middle-aged moment and forget the pressure/time/depth at my last waypoint, or how much I used on the way in.

Guy (using my Jeppesen protractor/plotter for dive planning these days)

To the OP:

I believe you were already considering using a Miflex HP hose for routing along the LP Inflator based on an earlier post. If this is the case, I believe that would also provide a solution to the problem of wantig to be able to "bend" the inflator hose. A HP Miflex hose is so skinny and bendable that I believe you could bend a normal LP hose enough to crimp it without cutting off or being hindered by the Miflex HP.

I've only had a single dive with my Miflex HP hose , and I am both a newbie and non-tech. This is just my personal speculation that could be completely wrong. I would recommend testing before relying on such an idea.

To the OP.
I didn't go thru all the posts,too lazy,so i don't know whether this thread has developed in one of those handbag fights you see often on forums.I don't know and I don't care:D
I just wanted to say that :

1)I'm an older diver.

2)I've been using that for years and it works great.
My hose is just kinda longer so to have the spg
just past the inflator.You find it always there,slightly
turn your head and you can see it.It also helps with keeping
the inflator hose in place.

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
To the OP:

I believe you were already considering using a Miflex HP hose for routing along the LP Inflator based on an earlier post. If this is the case, I believe that would also provide a solution to the problem of wantig to be able to "bend" the inflator hose. A HP Miflex hose is so skinny and bendable that I believe you could bend a normal LP hose enough to crimp it without cutting off or being hindered by the Miflex HP.

I've only had a single dive with my Miflex HP hose , and I am both a newbie and non-tech. This is just my personal speculation that could be completely wrong. I would recommend testing before relying on such an idea.

However, before switching to a Miflex HP hose you might want to read this thread:

Miflex HP hose issues - The Dive Matrix Forums

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom