Routing an SPG along the shoulder webbing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DaleC

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I've been thinking about this for a while but haven't had the short HP hose to actually try it. Basically routing the SPG HP hose along the wing inflator hose, clipped off at a point that allows it to be read by simply lifting the inflator a bit.

I am very interested in older divers thoughts/opinions regarding it as to whether it was ever tried during the SPG development phase and/or why it might or might not work. From what I can see it eliminates clipping and unclipping, having a 30" HP hose clipped off at the hip that could cause a loop and it routes cleanly. If HOG is about simplicity and minimal design why isn't the SPG routed this way?

I'm honestly curious.

The photo is just quick mock up using my existing reg set to give the general idea, not the finished product.

Picture2005.jpg

Picture2007.jpg

FWIW I've seen pictures of a similar configuration in current use (I think in a local Midwestern US forum), so at the very least it's not a completely novel setup.

IIRC I saw it on the scubatoys DDCN subforum maybe a year ago. As I recall, it um, turned into a huge trainwreck of gear-criticism and name-calling. Glad we don't have to deal with any drama here.

Seems perfectly fine to me.

Thanks G, I'll do some searching.

I was looking at the photo again and thought that a more refined look/function would be to ziptie the LP and HP hoses at several points so they route as one and to use a smaller more modern SPG. That one is a nice old Scubapro but it weighs about 10lb's.

Dale, this is an interesting idea. I wonder whether the shorter length of the HP hose combined with stiffness due to pressurization might impact how easily one could manipulate the corrugated hose to dump air. If this were an issue, I'm guessing that one of the new miflex HP hoses would be an acceptable fix. Good luck and keep us posted.

It's funny you mentioned "older divers", the first thing I thought of when I saw it was that without my bifocals I wouldn't be able to read the gauge that close! Anyway, it looks like a good idea, and I'll be checking to see how it works out.

I've always wondered why people don't attach the gauge to their left wrist and run the hose down their arm.

:popcorn:

The DIR guys probably went to bed early.
But it seems like an idea which should be explored.
Porbeagle

Back in the day when I dove independent doubles, I routed the SPG from the right tank over the shoulder in that manner. I routed it through a neoprene shoulder pad on the shoulder strap. You could do the same on the left strap as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom