Routing an SPG along the shoulder webbing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you find checking the SPG clipped off at the hip with two bottles problematic, I'd suggest practicing. It's a totally non-issue. I can easily check it even while on the trigger scootering. It's just dirt simple. With a couple of bottles clipped off, if you have the SPG on the inflator, you now have three SPGs in the same location. I find that much, much messier. For big dives, you'll be mostly on stages anyway, so won't be checking backgas very often. Best to have the backgas SPG somewhat out of the way (and still perfectly accessible).

I get the sense that no one commenting here actually does too many two bottle dives...

It's all about scalability. The SPG on the hip allows for adding extra bottles without issue.

One reason that I learned why not to route the HP hose along the LP inflator hose was in case of an LP inflator malfunction.

Say you have a stuck LP inflator - you have two choices:

1) Disconnect the hose thus removing the air source

2) Bend the hose thus blocking the air source

With 2 hoses it becomes easier to mistake one for the other while at same more difficult to bend everything.

One of the statements my tech instructor said to me was that his goal to was make sure I could come back from a dive - making the dive was easy - coming back (when the muck hits the fan) was the hard part.

If you find checking the SPG clipped off at the hip with two bottles problematic, I'd suggest practicing. It's a totally non-issue.
It is an issue. I have arthritis in both hands from working 30 years in the automotive industry. Even with no bottles there (though I am now diving more side mount), a hip mounted SPG can be problematic if the water is cold enough.

But then, it doesn't appear that you have even tried the other method. You complain about lack of experience and seem to be guilty of the same.

LOL, I have tried it. I found it annoying and went back to a system that scales much better to dives with more bottles.

I'm sorry for your medical issues. They often lead to all kinds of compromises that would otherwise be inefficient for those without such problems. In any case, please note that checking the SPG on the hip is an issue FOR YOU, not an issue in general. For most, it's really quite trivial with a little practice.

It is an issue. I have arthritis in both hands from working 30 years in the automotive industry. Even with no bottles there (though I am now diving more side mount), a hip mounted SPG can be problematic if the water is cold enough.

But then, it doesn't appear that you have even tried the other method. You complain about lack of experience and seem to be guilty of the same.

I've slung one bottle many times and two once and I have a hard time wrapping my head around how a spg on the inflator would be more troublesome that on the hip. My problem is that there are just about as many clips on the hip as on the shoulder either way and my spgs are bungied right up against the first stages of the bottles. I can't visualize mixing spgs on the left up with an spg on the right but I will add it to the cons column for something to think about anyways. I'm not knocking the suggestion Rainer. Same with the LP hose. From my quick mock up I saw that it would still be possible to disconnect the LP hose but I haven't considered bending. Thanks SS.

Personally, I would like to have had five minutes in the room with Cousteau/Gagnon, Main, GI3 JJ and the others to see how their minds worked (in the beginning). I can't help but think they often sat at a table, looked at some configuration/gear, wondered about its pros and cons and batted the idea around. I wonder if we are really being true to their ideals if we lose that aspect and just adopt a system carte blanche.

I've slung one bottle many times and two once and I have a hard time wrapping my head around how a spg on the inflator would be more troublesome that on the hip.

Adds clutter to an area that doesn't need clutter.

That area (either the top clip or the BCD inflator itself) gets used more than the lower clip.

Put it where you want. I think it works better on the hip.

LOL, I have tried it. I found it annoying and went back to a system that scales much better to dives with more bottles.

That is great! Now that you are not using it anymore, maybe you can sell your specially fabricated HP hose to the guy who wants to try it out now?

My cave instructor routes his SPG down the inflator hose. Seems to work out OK for him.

Jim_Wyatt3.JPG

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

My cave instructor routes his SPG down the inflator hose. Seems to work out OK for him.
... Bob (Grateful Diver)

and his light.

and his light.

No ... he routes those along the sides of his backplate these days ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom