Rosie O'Donnell the Shark murderer. And Mark the Shark charters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Call it poetic license. How often do we put up provocative titles to grab attention. The crime may not have been against a human, but it was premeditated.

I never suggested it was a crime. It is, well, I don't know..wrong? Kind of like my neighbor killing tweety birds cause they woke him in the morning. But beyond the tweety birds, the animals she and the POS guide are slaying are important to the health of our oceans.

I tend to be somewhat literal, and overly pedantic.

I do not disagree with the sentiments, only with the presentation.

Sensationalisation appeals to those who purchase new magazines with lurid covers from the check out lines at supermarkets.

It does not appeal to those who will vote, or engage in activism.

I say we kill them all. All they do is **** in the ocean and bite tourists. Who needs them.

Shame you people. Sheesh.

Talk to your states dept of wildlife and let them know that you think you should be in charge of figuring out how many of each animal should be allowed to be harvested. Right now we have people who already do what you want to do, but apparently you're not happy with the job they are doing.

The thing is, Mike, we really don't have a good feel for how many sharks, or any fish for that matter, are left. All we know is they are on the decline. The best available research is still vague, but nearly all studies point toward a sharp decline in sharks and top predators like tuna, marlin, etc. The top scientists do make recommendations, and the regulators largely ignore them. For an example, look at the lobbying for tighter restrictions on Atlantic bluefin tuna at ICCAT (2010 maybe???) done by the leading researchers, only to have the total allowable catch be nearly twice the estimated sustainable limit.

A smarter person than myself once said that the law is a shoddy standard by which to set your morals.

And to those who think the ocean would be better off without hammerheads (historical total of 1 attack on humans-ISAF), I happen to think restaurants and planes would be better off without screaming children, but I'm not about to suggest hunting them because I know it is wrong.

I am happy that reasonable people have now joined the thread.

I guess it is hard to know just who is willing to eat what. Some in here are saying no one eats bear but a former athlete of mine just gave me ten pounds of bear salami (bear meat mixed with venison and then made into salami) and his family seems to think it tastes great. I have never been a hunter, but I have a couple of sons that take several deer every year and fill their freezers with it. Not much chance of those deer fighting back either. I love diving with sharks (some will object to the fact that fish heads are used to attract them I know) and would hate to see any shark species become extinct. But if the guy is not breaking any laws I think you should have a problem with the law makers more than with him.

I guess it is hard to know just who is willing to eat what. Some in here are saying no one eats bear but a former athlete of mine just gave me ten pounds of bear salami (bear meat mixed with venison and then made into salami) and his family seems to think it tastes great. I have never been a hunter, but I have a couple of sons that take several deer every year and fill their freezers with it. Not much chance of those deer fighting back either. I love diving with sharks (some will object to the fact that fish heads are used to attract them I know) and twould hate to see any shark species become extinct. But if the guy is not breaking any laws I think you should have a problem with the law makers more than with him.
Yawn. If I have to explain you would not understand.

Yawn. If I have to explain you would not understand.

Could you possibly be more condescending? If you are looking to convince people to change their stance, this is hardly the way to do it. And if you are not, than you are just making noise for no purpose.

Could you possibly be more condescending? If you are looking to convince people to change their stance, this is hardly the way to do it. And if you are not, than you are just making noise for no purpose.
Maybe. I'll try to be more condensing if you like. This is a subjective matter. Nice. Lol.,I,really don't care . My name is Timmy Lynch in Jupiter Fl USA. You?

Maybe. I'll try to be more condensing if you like. This is a subjective matter. Nice. Lol.,I,really don't care . My name is Timmy Lynch in Jupiter Fl USA. You?

Nice is right. Calling me out now? Very mature. The person you were mocking was actually being reasonable, even if he didn't fully agree with you.

The comment about youd rather bears not be in the woods is crazy to me.

I said I'd rather not run into them. I didn't say I didn't want them in the woods.

The thing is, Mike, we really don't have a good feel for how many sharks, or any fish for that matter, are left. All we know is they are on the decline. The best available research is still vague, but nearly all studies point toward a sharp decline in sharks and top predators like tuna, marlin, etc. The top scientists do make recommendations, and the regulators largely ignore them. For an example, look at the lobbying for tighter restrictions on Atlantic bluefin tuna at ICCAT (2010 maybe???) done by the leading researchers, only to have the total allowable catch be nearly twice the estimated sustainable limit.

A smarter person than myself once said that the law is a shoddy standard by which to set your morals.

And to those who think the ocean would be better off without hammerheads (historical total of 1 attack on humans-ISAF), I happen to think restaurants and planes would be better off without screaming children, but I'm not about to suggest hunting them because I know it is wrong.

You're fighting the wrong battle.

The battle is shark fining, not sports fisherman.

The total number of sharks of every single sport fisherman's catch caught on a rod and reel since the beginning of time isn't equal to a percentage of one years worth of the amount of sharks killed by commercial fisherman for their fins, or the by catch of long lining fisherman.

Focus on the real issue instead of this false one. It's just plain ridiculous to be mad at Mark the Shark over his shark catching and ignore the real problem.

According to which source you choose to listen to somewhere between -

38 MILLION - 78 MILLION sharks were killed last year for their fins.
(38,000,000 - 78,000,000) that's in MILLIONS

Let's keep things in perspective and not worry about Mark the Shark.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom