Rolling Eyes at LDS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am visiting from out of town. I stop in to a retail dive equipment store to fill my tanks and they say, "uh, we have to look at those" and "uh, we cannot fill those" never minding they have a hydro and they tell you further, "nobody will fill those tanks." This usually happens in Flariduh. So I get back in the Jeep and ride across the street where they not only fill them but overfill them by 50%. So, then I get back in the Jeep and go back across the street and tell the guy that the tanks he would not fill were filled across the street and he says "well, they are idiots" and I say, "that is what they said about you, that you were an idiot" and so he rolled his eyes, I went diving. :confused:N

The guy who didn't know or trust you, didn't blow up his shop filling a tank he didn't trust, and the guy across the street violated DOT regs with the overfill and made a few bucks.

You got your fill and everybody's happy, so what's the problem?

Terry

The best items I have gotten on eBay, several were from people who got the item from an estate or whatever. One such item was described as a valve. No picture. I asked what sort of valve and the picture he sent me was of a mint Royal Aqua Master. I got that really cheap but then I got taken for 350 dollars on a wetsuit from a con artist so in the end, Karma, it all balances out. eBay is what it is.

I paid $50 for an absolutely mint SCUBAPro Mk1 in the box.

OTOH, I paid $200 for a Dive-Rite cannister light where the charger burst into flames because the owner had bypassed all the fuses with wire.

I also sold a wetsuit for $45 to a guy in Canada, and was hit up for about the same amount in "Expediting and Customs Fees" by the shipping company.

eBay is fun to look at, but unless it's an astonishing bargain, I don't bother with it anymore.

Caveat Emptor.

Terry

Last edited:
The guy who didn't know or trust you, didn't blow up his shop filling a tank he didn't trust, and the guy across the street violated DOT regs with the overfill and made a few bucks.

You got your fill and everybody's happy, so what's the problem?

Terry

None, I bought a new mask, a dive float, a book, a tee shirt and some other items from the shop that filled my tanks and booked a trip, when I discovered they were actually overfilled I bled them down (from about 3,100 to 2,250), shops do that all the time because they are so accustomed to 3,000 psi fills.

So a tank with a new hydro, as in having been done last month, requires a shop to "know" and "trust" you to get a fill? :wink: This is why I need to get my compressor pieces rounded back up and find a way to carry it on the Wrangler. Guess what, a current hydro is just that especially when it was two weeks fresh. BTW, one of the "suspect" tanks was a nearly new Faber LP85, it just happened to have a Voit sticker on it, no point in arguing with idiots.

I don't have a problem but I guess you do.

N

it didn't happen at the LDS, but right outside, while setting up gear on the boat

and older guy (probably late 50's?) saw my long-hose and sort of stopped. you'd think he'd seen a flying whale shark.

then he stared some more. then he shook his head.

then he said in Dutch or German something like "blah blah blah octo"

and shook his head some more

i believe he did not think my long hose was long enough

it didn't happen at the LDS, but right outside, while setting up gear on the boat

and older guy (probably late 50's?) saw my long-hose and sort of stopped. you'd think he'd seen a flying whale shark.

then he stared some more. then he shook his head.

then he said in Dutch or German something like "blah blah blah octo"

and shook his head some more

i believe he did not think my long hose was long enough

At least he did not ask you if it was a rebreather, that is the question I get asked most commonly when setting up. The answer I usually provide seems to leave most unfullfilled.

IMG_1345_edited-2.jpg

The trip I booked from the "fill them 'till they swell up like a water melon shop" I was setting up my gear. A teenager asked me about the rebreather so being as he was a kid I gave him a sincere and complete answer. The captain listened in but never said anything. Preparing to dive-dive-dive, he told me to return to the boat with at least 500 psi, wink. Upon return, last out, he looked at my spg, it was 1,200 psi, I knew you were gonna be trouble and he winked, those rebreathers make air, wink, don't they. At least he did not roll his eyes, nice guy he was.

N

Last edited:
At least he did not ask you if it was a rebreather, that is the question I get asked most commonly when setting up. The answer I usually provide seems to leave most unfullfilled. N

One of the guys in a shop knew I dove a double hose, he asked to see it, he then asked how it worked, he then ran into the back room where a class was taking place and had to explain to the instructor how it worked.

But, should the customer ask for help, grocery store or LDS, it is nice to have someone with enough knowledge to provide that help. That can often be a problem in smaller LDSs. Some are just more focused on selling high margin goods than satisfying customers.

A customer who asks for help is looking for a response. However, a customer who doesn't ask may not appreciate an offered opinion ... as it implies that the customer lacks knowledge to make their own choices.

The manner in which a response is offered is often the difference between making a sale and sending that customer to your competitor.

Personally, I prefer being treated as though I am capable of deciding for myself how to spend my money.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Back
Top Bottom