roll, fold or hang

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sammycdp

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
ive been told three different ways of storing my dry suit, unfortunatly for longer durations. ive been told at some point its like a sleeping bag and will create cold spots if a fold keeps happening in one spot(makes sense eh) but different suits behave differntly as well, if its a matter of space i will throw out the t.v. make a rack and stare at my suit.
but if any body knows more about this than some of the people selling them give me a ring
thanks sam

I always roll mine. I start at the feet and roll up to the neck with the zipper on the outside of the bundle. This is so the zipper is not crimped or smashed but rather follows the outer circumference of the rolled-up suit. I leave the main zipper open but close the outer zipper. I then fold the arms over. Last, I store it in a bag that keeps it out of the sun and limits exposure to the atmosphere. I store the suit indoors in a dry area that does not get direct sunlight.

There is NO right or wrong way to do this. The only thing to watch out for is you dont kink your zipper. The style suit you have will tell you if you can roll or fold. They are expensive to repair. I fold mine or hang it, if I rolled it the ziper would get damaged. Some store them but mine is used every week so there is no sense in it for me.

I roll mine for travel. For long-term (longer than, say, overnight) storage, I hang it.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I would always hang my dry suit to store it.........it seemed like I was replacing latex seals more often than I should have.

I now hang my suit for a few days to make sure its dry and then roll and store in a plastic bag.........shoud keep less ozone getting at the seals..( I hope they last longer)

It helps the seals to spray some UV Tech (from McNett) on them every few months.

I saw two latex counterlungs, one treated with it and one without, that were left sitting on a shop counter for a month. The one that wasn't treated with UV Tech was visibly degraded compared to the other. Its good stuff.

I originally hung mine, but with some of the older drysuits it would actually destroy the integrity of the material and cause it to leak. I had this happen to me. If you are going to hand a drysuit talk to the manufacturer about it. I think that rolling the suit prevents creases which is a good thing.

i hang mine, but not through the neck, i hang my 5mm full suit through the pants part on the hanger and hang my vest serperately. my 3mm shorty i just do whatever with it. then again i use them everyday so for long term storage i would assume tat hangers might leave dimple spots if the wetsuit drys hanging and stays stored.

I originally hung mine, but with some of the older drysuits it would actually destroy the integrity of the material and cause it to leak. I had this happen to me. If you are going to hand a drysuit talk to the manufacturer about it. I think that rolling the suit prevents creases which is a good thing.

For some suits, not ALL.. Roll the wrong style and you will damage the zipper.

Mine hangs all summer between dives. Winter storage is stored after I silicone the seals.

Back
Top Bottom