Roll call: Any old NASDS divers out there?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I need help...lost my nasds c card about 1 year ago...now I see that SSI is no longer replacing them. I am a very experienced diver 100+ ...mostly on private boats and resort diving. The dive shop that certified me in 1978 still exists, but they refuse to give me any help and told me I must take a complete class including open water dives. My last dive was about 1 year ago. SSI has confirmed my card number to me but is sending me back to a SSI dive shop. Not much help from anyone at this point. Any suggestions??? My number still exists with SSi, as my certification was after they had the big fire that wiped out a lot of information....Any ideas???
Thanks,
Craig
Fresno, CA

Last edited:
I received my NASDS certification at college in Oswego, New York, in 1975. I am receiving my PADI certification this year after a 35 year lay off.

I could understand a PADI cert. after a long time off... but I have been diving regularly since 1993...At least once or more per year generally.

I need help...lost my nasds c card about 1 year ago...now I see that SSI is no longer replacing them. I am a very experienced diver 100+ ...mostly on private boats and resort diving. The dive shop that certified me in 1978 still exists, but they refuse to give me any help and told me I must take a complete class including open water dives. My last dive was about 1 year ago. SSI has confirmed my card number to me but is sending me back to a SSI dive shop. Not much help from anyone at this point. Any suggestions??? My number still exists with SSi, as my certification was after they had the big fire that wiped out a lot of information....Any ideas???
Thanks,
Craig
Fresno, CA
I'd ask the question in the SSI forum. AFAIK they'll still issue an SSI card based on an NASDS certification - for a fee.
If the local shop's playing the "new course required" game there are plenty of SSI shops in spittin' distance of Fresno.
Or this...
When I wanted to get back into the official scuba world after 20 years of just fun diving/spearfishing, (lost YMCA card (well, not exactly lost - paper card that dissolved completely beyond recognition in my wallet after many accidental dunkings) from before they even kept records; no dive log book (log dives? who does that?)) I just took the AOW, Rescue & Master diver courses at the local NAUI shop. Solved both the C-Card problem and brought me up-to-speed on new-fangled gear like BC's and octopuses and dive computers. If "a complete class" means a CE course that's probably not a bad idea anyway - I'd take Nitrox, which will pay for itself many times over in the overall price of each minute of bottom time in short order.
:)
Rick

Last edited:
My wife and I certified through NASDS back in '85. An instructor we dove with a lot certified us into PADI a few years ago for whatever if cost him. And we became AOW certified!

there is certainly an issue of two of Aquarius I would like - in which there is gaffney style full page add (blurb) about the Aquarius 2 in Honduras written by Margaret Worth - also the Africa issue with John Gaffney on the Camel on the cover

Robin caulderwoodr@gmail.com

---------- Post Merged at 10:50 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 10:50 AM ----------

there is certainly an issue of two of Aquarius I would like - in which there is gaffney style full page add (blurb) about the Aquarius 2 in Honduras written by Margaret Worth - also the Africa issue with John Gaffney on the Camel on the cover

Robin caulderwoodr@gmail.com

I have received a few feedbacks on my post. My number 867 is an NASDS instructor number, not a student number sorry for the confusion. Also the PADI instructor number is not a mistake it is PADI instructor #12 MSDT. And the 58 is the number of years to date I've been in scuba diving, both commercial and sport.
Nice and easy, stay safe, be aware.

>WetRide
>September 18th, 2009, 05:15 AM

>NASDS, #2383, 1968, instructor Herb Ellis at Herb's Dive Shop, Daytona Beach, Florida. Herb’s is gone, and >Herb Ellis is more than likely dead by now, too.

Wow! This is a blast from the past! I too was certified by Herb's Dive Shop back in 1973 with 'Open Water' cert under A.J. Blanding his main instructor.. Good people...did a phenomenal amount of cave dives under his guidance as well helped produce a short under water documentary of one of the Fla. springs.

Clay Owen
Kimberton,Pa.

Follow up: I did some investigative work and found out that Herb Ellis is alive and living in Cancun,Mexico selling real estate/condo shares...Now trying to find A.J.(last known addresses are in Ormond Beach and Ft. Lauderdale). If anyone have info please get in touch with me.

Thanks,

Clay AA3JY
Kimberton,Pa.

I've had a NASDS certification since 1994. Can the card be updated or changed to a different agency? At one time I thought for a fee it could be converted to PADI.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom