Roll call: Any old NASDS divers out there?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi,
I was certified Padi 1279 1971 master Instructor Padi 1973,went to san diego with Jack Gadbois we crossed over to Nasds.My number 1588 switched to Ssi around 1994 #5927.
Jerry Lang Diving since 1963 SSI Platinum Pro diver,ThanksDr.Sam Miller for recommending me

I was originally NASDS Certified back in 1997, when I was 12 years old (I think)....My instructor was Steve Matheny form The Dive Shop in Orange Park, FL. Sadly, Steve is no longer with us. He and my dad were friends and we did many dives in the springs in NE/Central FL while I was still learning the ropes. Some of my favorite diving memories were back then diving Blue Grotto and Devils Den with them.

Cool post, brings back good memories!

Last edited:
went to Africa with Pop, Lou and John - some stories there too!

on another note- does anyone have some old copies of Aquarius magazine around
Aqua Robin......

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I have both Dive and Aquarius magazines bound

plus I have a selected few single issues of Dive and Aquarius. All are mint and are for sale..Interested?

sdm

I was certified NASDS in 1971 at Coral Reef Scuba in Sioux Falls, SD............kinda amazing. I became an OWI at Seattle clinic in 1974. Anyone remember Tony Zimos (spelling). Last dive was at the Living seas in Disney World in 1994 (I think).

I think I will go and get a SSI certification and just have fun diving for once.

Barbara

Certified in 1974.....those were the days.... Have no idea where my card is. I re-certified through another group.

Just was looking at the first NASDS card from (first certification--got it in 1967). Went on to become an instructor (OWI) at the 'college' in San Diego, which even included a little training with the UDT Seals at Coranado (they have an 80' deep 'lock out' tank there). Every weedend training students on the beach or boat excursions. It was tons of fun and a good memory, but not really a serious living wage. In those days, the business was really just begining to show some entry level professionalism--some places still didn't care about traing or certifications, but by the early 70's it had become a universal standard.

---------- Post Merged at 08:19 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 08:14 AM ----------

Hey -- Barbarals!

Yes--His name was Anthony G. Zimos, a rather boisterous, if not notorious fellow!

>>Hey -- Barbarals!

Yes--His name was Anthony G. Zimos, a rather boisterous, if not notorious fellow!<<

Cool, somebody else who remembers Tony Z!! I was in the 3rd Divers Instruuctoral College class and remember busting a gut more than once while listening to Tony recount some of his Vietnam War (mis)adventures. Did he ever tell you the one about the midget in the bar taking on a 6' 3" Marine and wasting him? I'll re-tell the whole story if anyone would like to hear it.

Man, those were good days in my life...Is Tony still around, anyone seen him?

-RW-

there is certainly an issue of two of Aquarius I would like - in which there is gaffney style full page add (blurb) about the Aquarius 2 in Honduras written by Margaret Worth - also the Africa issue with John Gaffney on the Camel on the cover

Robin

>>Hey -- Barbarals!

Yes--His name was Anthony G. Zimos, a rather boisterous, if not notorious fellow!<<

Cool, somebody else who remembers Tony Z!! I was in the 3rd Divers Instruuctoral College class and remember busting a gut more than once while listening to Tony recount some of his Vietnam War (mis)adventures. Did he ever tell you the one about the midget in the bar taking on a 6' 3" Marine and wasting him? I'll re-tell the whole story if anyone would like to hear it.

Man, those were good days in my life...Is Tony still around, anyone seen him?

-RW-

LMAO I never heard about the little person..or don't remember..uggggg. I do remember Kevin Murphy shouting out "a sale isn't a sale, till the moneys in the till" as we were coming out of the water. That was such a cool time being part of an emerging sport. NASDS was so disciplined in those days.

If I can name drop...do you remember

Kevin Murphy.........I think he started SEAL team No1, as I remember, and he owned San Diego divers supply.

Mike Brock (spelling) a rep for Scuba Pro.......a big guy

I also have a very good friend who is a store owner, and now a SSI trainer of instructors. He is also in the 5000 hr club with SSI. Really an amazing diver.

and of course many conversations with John Gaffney ...it seems like every new sport needs a colorful, individual like John to give it structure. I remember how worried he was that the government was going to start regulating Scuba Diving if we didn't do it ourselves.

I have always been very proud of my affiliation with NASDS and the fact that I was there in the emerging days of a incredible, and interesting sport.

Thanks both of you for replying to the post.

Barbara

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom