Roll call: Any old NASDS divers out there?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

>WetRide
>September 18th, 2009, 05:15 AM

>NASDS, #2383, 1968, instructor Herb Ellis at Herb's Dive Shop, Daytona Beach, Florida. Herb’s is gone, and >Herb Ellis is more than likely dead by now, too.

Wow! This is a blast from the past! I too was certified by Herb's Dive Shop back in 1973 with 'Open Water' cert under A.J. Blanding his main instructor.. Good people...did a phenomenal amount of cave dives under his guidance as well helped produce a short under water documentary of one of the Fla. springs.

Clay Owen
Kimberton,Pa.
Just found Herb Ellis's obit...

HERBERT DENNIE ELLIS Sr. Obituary: View HERBERT ELLIS's Obituary by Daytona Beach News-Journal

Clay Owen
Kimberton, Pa.

I still use my NASDS card, certified in 1975 by Alan Frasieur/OWI 235 at Sea D Sea in Redondo Beach, Ca.
NASDS is still going in Japan, and their cards still have the chip in them, same with Germany
and Italy,
The replacement cards look the same as the old ones, I wonder how many emergency room staff these days would know what or how to read a Microfiche chip?. I used to keep the spare chip taped to the back of my motorcycle helmet.

I noticed in a search that Japan and Italy have gone to SSI, but NASDS is still going in Germany, NASDS - Germany: The National Association of Scuba Diving Schools > Education

But sadly Sea D Sea in Redondo Beach, CA, ran by Barry Friedman for 44 years closed down July 1st 2013,
Sea d Sea Inc. will Officially close for business on Monday July 01, 2013.

I was last there in 2010 and bought a fairing for my AT PAK from him, the yellow one in the photo, still has an NASDS sticker on it, he was looking around for extra stickers but could not remember where he put them, at that time he was still selling, rebuilding and updating AT PAKs.
I noticed the original question, "Any old NASDS divers out there ?" We are ALL old if we started with NASDS.

AT PAK.jpg

I was NASDS certified in 1971 by Scuba Tech in West Covina, Ca at age 16. Sure wish I'd have kept that card. Back then my double hose was not vintage- just old.

But sadly Sea D Sea in Redondo Beach, CA, ran by Barry Friedman for 44 years closed down July 1st 2013,
Sea d Sea Inc. will Officially close for business on Monday July 01, 2013.

I was last there in 2010 and bought a fairing for my AT PAK from him, the yellow one in the photo, still has an NASDS sticker on it, he was looking around for extra stickers but could not remember where he put them, at that time he was still selling, rebuilding and updating AT PAKs.
I noticed the original question, "Any old NASDS divers out there ?" We are ALL old if we started with NASDS.

View attachment 171567

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sea D Sea should be, but won't be, listed as a "Historical Diving location" a dive shop in one location for 60 years

Mel Fisher,(LA Co UW Instructor) opened the Catalina Street shop in December, 1953 as Mel's Aqua Shop. Mel & Delo ran it until he got gold fever.

The shop was purchased by Ed Marquand & Richard Pasker (LA Co UW Instructors) in the mid 1960sthey ran it for several years. Ed's wife passed away, he moved out of the area and sold is interest to his partner Richard who ran it for a short time

Richard Pasker sold it to Barry (LA Co UW Instructor) in 1969- 44 years ago. Barry had moved from New York, discovered diving and proceeded to complete the certainly prestigious and very demanding LA County Underwater Instructors program in the late 1960s. The shop has the distinction as one of the few shops always owned and operated by LA Co Certified UW instructors.
Around that time john Gaffney organized the local shops and dive instructors concurrently began publishing his magazines. At that time I was very active in the SoCal and National dive community and became via default a NASDS instructor as did many others in So Cal

FYI I also have a At Pac shell in good condition for sale..PM if interested
sdm

Hi Barbara,

I remember "Z". In fact I was a candidate at the Seattle '74 clinic and later worked for Tony at the College & SDDS.

Tony maintains a low profile. Haven't seen or heard from him since the '80s.

Jim

Certified in 1974 by National Aquatic Service of Syracuse, NY. Dove for 5 years then stopped. Recertified in 2011 with PADI. I still have my original c-card.

if I remember right my first cert number with nasds was my social security number....how smart was that to be giving out to dive shops? haha

I got certified NASDS in 1885 in Willow Springs Pennsylvania Quarry. February and man was it cold. Tom Gay was my instructor from Baltimore...and he had on a dry suit :)

"The fishermen know that the sea is dangerous and the storm terrible, but they have never found these dangers sufficient reason for remaining ashore."

— Vincent Van Gogh, Painter

Back
Top Bottom