Roll call: Any old NASDS divers out there?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Did the Open Water Certificate in San Diego in Sep 1976. My instructor was John Lyman. Learnt alot, including English, as I just arrived from Switzerland. Still have my red&blue plastic card. Just emailed SSI to see if they can replace it, so that I can be found on the internet when I haven't got the card with me. Have dived in alot of amazing places, but only occasionally.

>WetRide
>September 18th, 2009, 05:15 AM

>NASDS, #2383, 1968, instructor Herb Ellis at Herb's Dive Shop, Daytona Beach, Florida. Herb’s is gone, and >Herb Ellis is more than likely dead by now, too.

Wow! This is a blast from the past! I too was certified by Herb's Dive Shop back in 1973 with 'Open Water' cert under A.J. Blanding his main instructor.. Good people...did a phenomenal amount of cave dives under his guidance as well helped produce a short under water documentary of one of the Fla. springs.

Clay Owen
Kimberton,Pa.

1971 San Diego Divers Supply

Oh' those were the days. There weren't instructor numbers on NASDS cards in the late sixties only the student numbers and the instructor name. The earliest student number I certified that i can find is (with his permission)#1681. Later I re-qualified in Rhode Island when I opened my own store Bennett Academy of Ski and Scuba Inc. in 1973 was #867. I have an active PADI Instructor of #12 now, and had an advanced SSI instructor # of 703. I remember the party after the written test and the first day was over everyone started to celebrate their first day in Rhode Island. The partying lasted late into the evening. I, being the oldest guy among all those young wiper-snappers went back to my room early. Someone forget to tell us about the next days grueling hours in the ocean. After hours in the ocean drifting down the coast and the laborious swing back up to our start point for the next round of instruction, I was about toast and it wasn't even noon yet. There was a gang of cookies spilled on the beach that day. Thankfully I wasn't one of them. It was one of the most memorable times in my life. The staff of instructors were great. Doing mouth-to-mouth with a student with a face full of hair wasn't that memorable, but it did wake you up.
Still kicking it, just not as high.

Got certified by NASDS back in 1979 North Alabama Scuba Diving School (NASDS) the owner always like that his store had NASDS in it. The owner/instructor was Larry Richardson along with Doug Bumpus , I was about 16 at the time. Like most of you my card is falling apart and I keep it in a plastic sleeve to keep it together. Did get a new card through SSI finely. I ran across the necklace that had the diver logo on it and the micro film is still in it. So for now the old card stays in the gun safe so it will not crack up anymore then it already has.

1975 at Pop's Dive Shop in Clearwater, FL. Still have the card.

Got Certified Instructor from Tony Zimos and crew at the San Diego Divers Supply back in 79-80. Prior to that was PADI certified up to Dive Master and Deep Water. Went back overseas in early 80's and worked for our government utilizing all those dive skills. What a rush........!

Thanks Tony, where ever you are, for pushing me past my limits...WhoooRaaa!

I was certified in 1972 by Pop. By 75 I guess Pop had turned the teching part over to Brab. Those were great days with great stories.

Angelo (POP) Poppalardo was a long time friend. We ran some joint scuba tours together to the Caymans. You should hear those stories.

went to Africa with Pop, Lou and John - some stories there too!
on another note- does anyone have some old copies of Aquarius magazine around
Aqua Robin

---------- Post added at 06:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:03 PM ----------

SOS décompression metres- they worked didn't they??
single steel tanks almost impossible to over extend a dive
funny in the early 70's seemed like you could dive and fly the same day! HMMMMM!

must be an atmospheric change

Back
Top Bottom