Roll call: Any old NASDS divers out there?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Still a few left, but numbers are getting thin. NASDS instructor # 867. A comment about using SSI numbers for certification numbers; I have a few records from 1967 and the earliest number I can find is #1681. I just happen to know this fellow and he said it isn't any part of his SSI number. Unless John Gaffney changed the policy I think he started at 1000 and went up from there. Oh, that John!

NASDS rocks (ed)

Better than the replacement SSI, in my opinion.

1978 - Aquatic Center, Newport Beach. Ron Merker Instructor. Beach Dive at Big Corona. Open Water at Catalina.

For those of you that are Clive Cussler fans, the Aquatic Center was were Mr. Clusser got certified and worked in the early 70s.

I went through the NASDS college in the summer of 1978!

I was certified NASDS in 1971 by Joe Dorsey OWI 375 Divers Den, Baltimore, Maryland, the shop that I now own. I became an instructor in 1975, Rhode Island Clinic OWI 1259.

Update: We still have alot of NASDS card holders in this area. Surprising how many of them still dive. The TIC cards back then, sure all the data is more than out dated. I miss the old Redbook, Goldbook and safe scuba text.

I also miss the agency that supported the store and put quality education before how many people can we certifiy.

Happy Holidays
CHaz

I attended the NASDS Divers Instructoral College waaaay back when. We were the 3rd class. Instructor was Tony Zimos, a real hard-guy. Co-instructor was Dick Hammas - one of the funniest guys I have ever met! Got to meet Gaffney, he would show up once in a while at the indoor classes, what a personality!! Anyone else out there from this class?

I do remember having to get up every day at 6am so I could be at class by 7. Then we did a 3 mile beach run to get warmed up. I remember Tony telling us how the guys who fell behind in SEAL training had to fill their bathing suits with sand and then continue running. I bet that was none too pleasant. Tony also told us a bunch of stories of the exploits of him and his SEAL buddies during Vietnam - God, the adventures these guys had - simply incredible!! Those were the best daze of my life, thank you, Tony!!

Oh yeah, the ******* from Bemidji, MN ripped off ALL of my gear - incl. a ScubaPro MK VII octopus rig. ****in' jerk. If I ever catch him...

-RW-

Last edited:
Just curious if there is any of us left
I was certified in 1972 in Wayne, NJ. When I got my card it came without a number. I was only 13 at the time, so maybe it was because I didn't have a social security number???? I seem to remember my instructor was named Keith Mullemister (unsure of spelling)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom