Roll call: Any old NASDS divers out there?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Certified Miami at Miami-Dade JC by Instructor Bob Friedman out of Underwater Unlimited and got NASDS and NAUI Certs. Still diving!

I was certified NASDS in 1975 by Al Engasser through Dave Olsons dive shop in Walnut Creek, CA. Now living in Salem and mostly diving the PNW and occasional warm water.

NASDS certified by Tom Selwyn Price in 1976 at The Sea Anchor in Wenatchee, Washington. PADA Recertified 2007 (with wife), now a PADI MSDT and Specialty Instructor. The only shop to turn away my NASDS C card is the local SSI store.

Certified NASDS in 1976. Instructor was Frank DeCesare at Cougar Sports in the Bronx, N.Y. Still diving--still NASDS loyal!

Certified NASDS in 1976. Instructor was Frank DeCesare at Cougar Sports in the Bronx, N.Y. Still diving--still NASDS loyal!
Frank has not been teaching scuba for some time now..I taught at Cougars from 1971 to 1987.Frank became an instructor a few years after I did.He was an aassistant to me at one point. Real nice guy.Cougars still in existance,not in the Bronx.Now in Ardsly NY and no longer truly in the scuba business,more so in archery.At one point Cougars was one of the largest LDS in NY.Taught over 500+ people a year at one point.I always said that John S (owner) should have moved into a facility that had its own pool,business was that good.He never did and someone else did in Yonkers.
Staff there was the best at the time.Tom Jerrussi, former NAVY seal team leader ,was an instructor there and wrote a training book used by NASDS for its ow courses.
Alot of memories there.

Just saw this post. Certified 1968 at Bob Nose Skiba, Columbus Ohio. Went on to teach in college and moved all over the world. Now teach PADI, SDI, TDI and am most proud of certifying my Grandson last year with a first NC wreck dive. NASDS was great - helped the stores, was a leader (i.e buoyancy compensation the early 70's) and just generally good people.

Certified in 1973 by Bob French at John the Diver in Springfield, MO.

Wow! I didn't think anyone remembered NASDS. I was certified in 1969 at Randolph AFB. I'll dig out my card and get the instructor's name. I'd started diving in Canyon Lake in 1968. A few of us would rent gear at Grumpy's near the lake. No c-card required if you could pass a five question test! We dove without lights or pressure gauge. I believe we put the "S" in stupid. I went on to get several PADI certs and have logged thousands of dives. I don't dive as much as I used to but my son and I are planning a trip to Belize in November. Thank you NASDS for putting me on the right track early on. I'm glad to see some old-timers are out there!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom