Roll call: Any old NASDS divers out there?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NASDS (basic) #CC 1953, August 1975.
Gilligan's Isle Scuba Diving center, Philadelphia PA.
Did checkouts at Willow Springs Quarry near reading,PA.
I worked part time for Jim Gilligan while in college 1977-1979.
I still have my original C card, in 2 pieces.
SSI AOW 1977.
SSI Instructor 1997.
Still diving as much as possible, living in Virginia Beach, VA, I get to Morehead City,NC 5-6 weekends per summer and do at least 2 week long "passport/airline" dive trips per year.
My Scubapro Mk V that I bought in 1976 is still in warranty and I still dive with it.

I attended the San Diego College after HS in the early 80s... John Gaffney and Tony Zemos influence my life more than my parents! Ran Great Lakes Divers in Buffalo and certified hundreds of people...... Threads like this get you all emotional...Z-90, LA PAz, Store Owners Clinics, Gaff Passing, Wow..... Now i run an insurance agency in Tampa utilizing many core concepts from my scuba years.......

Took class winter of 1975 at Oswego State from Liverpool Dive Center. Dan Johnson instructor.

Dove for about 8 years and did about 60 dives. Got married and just got a refresher PADI course this month. Did that via Aquatic World in Syracuse NY a great group to work with. On my way in November to Tobago with my wife and another couple. My wife just got her first certification PADI card. My daughter at college said my friends parents have no life and try and controll the kids lives. My parents learn to scuba dive and go on vacation.:D

Lost my card years ago and since it was before the fire all was lost. I did get a replacement from Aquastrophicsa as a SDA card with the words replacement NASDS 1975. I have read some have had issues with them and their online training. They did right by me, so for replacement cards I can recommend them.

Does anyone recall what your basic NASDA limits were? I do not recall being limited to 60 ft. depth and used to dive to 120ft. Back then we also did night dives and even some ice diving with groups. I think I recall you could get higher rated based on # of dives or if you wanted to become a instructor.

Still miss my old AT pac with Scuba pro Mark 5, but my new Aqualung stuff is much smoother and lighter. I may even have the first farlon dive computer some place lying around. 3 color bars green red and yellow. I think they recalled them as not safe.

John Henry

The "NASDS Safe Scuba Diver" was certified to 132 feet in 1977. The training said for extra safety keep it above 100 feet.

This thread is nearly as old as my NASDS cert (1975) via Underwater Unlimited in Miami, FL. Instructor David House... great guy.

Still miss my old AT pac with Scuba pro Mark 5, but my new Aqualung stuff is much smoother and lighter. I may even have the first farlon dive computer some place lying around. 3 color bars green red and yellow. I think they recalled them as not safe.

Still have my old At Pac. Beautiful white shell although a bit yelloeed now. I keep thinking I'm going to replace the bladder and hose at some point and get it back in the water for old times sake.

I also have my old ScubaPro Dive Computer (SOS) I believe they called it. It only has a couple of dive on it but I would never take it in the water as I'm sure it would leak like a sieve.

The Mk VII first stage had to go though. It had the low pressure "honking" feature and it was big as a brick. But the 109s that were attached to it (I dove with 2 second stages even back then) are still a part of my regular doubles kit. I know there are a lot of regs that would breathe better, but I still like them...

Went to San Diego later in 1973 while buddy completed SCUBA Instructor school and then to Riverside CA. I completed Open Water Instructor training in San Diego in 1974 led by Tony Zemos. Many great dives off of Cal coast between San Diego and LA, and Santa Catalina and other channel islands back in the day.

Got my open water cert from Buckeye Diving School back in 6/78. Cert #U9967. Joe Suchy was my instructor. Got an advanced open water cert from SSI in the same year "78" and an advanced open water from PADI back in 92. Still got all the cards.

NASDS OW August 1989. Dive Shop IV. Instructor: Nedom Angier. RIP my friend. "Let's rock and roll" that one was for you.

Luku I still have and use my NASDS PAL book (I make my own filler pages now) and my open water certification card (T.I.C.) with the microfiche. Have since moved on to SSI.

yes, i started out in Michigan Underwater School of Diving, lincoln park, mi. Mr. Randy Kowalski was my instructor.. from there he talked me into going to the NASDS College, under the leadership of tony zimos and gang at san diego divers supply, the summer of 1979. best experience of my life. worked as a instructor in little rock, ark for 20 years, worked for Cap'n Frogs for Mike Maynard, then later on The Dive Shop VII with Doug Lewter then onto Dive Shop II for Mike McCrory. good people there. sorry to say i am not teaching at this time.......

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom