Roll call: Any old NASDS divers out there?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Tracy,
1963 certified shop card,Naui 1968,Padi instructor 1971 M1279,Nasds Instructor 1588 in 1977,
SSI 1997
Have Fun,
Jerry

My original certification (age 14) is with NASDS in 9/1971 in Jack Beasley in San Mateo, CA. He was SDI 8.
A year or so later I earned SSI Senior Diver from Ed Brawley in San Mateo. He was "SDI 1 SSI".

I still have both cards and they are in good shape. Both my name and signature have changed in the last 39 years... No picture, no microfiche... I sometimes have trouble with them being accepted.

What I learned back then has served me well with all my diving, and periodically non-diving, over the years.

My two sons (16 & 18) are taking PADI OW. Will be fun to see the differences.

Just curious if there is any of us left

I am still here! Been diving for 40 years. I just got a replacement SSI card as the last place I dove did not even know what an NASDS card was.

Open Water Diver May 1977 at the Dive Shop in Memphis, TN by Doug McNeese (OWI-1326). Currently live in Amman, Jordan. Will try this weekend to move over to PADI. We'll see what happens.

My buddy and I are both NASDS divers and haven't "purchased" the SSI cards to replace them. I was certified by Wayne Moose at Paradise Island Diver's in Charlotte, NC. My buddy was certified by Randy Evans at the same location.

Attachments

• NASDS.JPG
    NASDS.JPG
    67.7 KB · Views: 524
Got certified in high school with World of Water in Tampa and hit the NASDS college in San Diego 1978 with John and Tony (#424). Wow, what an adventure!

Been diving with Underwater Unlimited in Miami ever since. We crossed over to SSI in '99

Oh, and yes I still have my original card :)

I just found this thread. I got my NASDS certification while in college in 1977. My instructor was Frank Walter from the National Aquatic Service in Syracuse, NY - he is still there and listed on their website with a bio after all these years! My open water dives were in Lake Ontario in April - what a miserable weekend that was with our crappy-fitting rental wetsuits (while all the instructors were using dry suits). I only dove once after college but I still have the card (mostly cracked). This past winter a close friend decided that he wanted to get certified, so I told him I was interested and would do the course with him. We just finished our PADI OW in Cancun in March and spent half a week in the Dominican Republic diving - I'm glad to be doing it again after all these years - and in much warmer waters!

I got certified in Montreal in !973 and did my open water in the Richelieu river in May, just after ice out. COLD! Visibility was miserable and the whole experience turned me off. Now certified with Padi. I was really surprised when I got my Padi certification in 1984, it was so easy compared to what was asked by Nasds.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom