Rodney Jonklaas - Diving Pioneer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

David,

I have been away form this board for a while so was unaware of your discoveries

You always come through! and I thank you for that.

I have reviewed all three of the books, unfortunately they do not conform to my bibliophile requirements which are a dust jacket and almost mint condition.

Does you HB copy have a dust jacket?---

David,

I have been away form this board for a while so was unaware of your discoveries

You always come through! and I thank you for that.

I have reviewed all three of the books, unfortunately they do not conform to my bibliophile requirements which are a dust jacket and almost mint condition.

Does you HB copy have a dust jacket?---

Yes, Sam, my copy does have a dust cover, still intact, although stained and rubbed and there's a small scrape in the surface between the words in the title and the picture of the frogman, so it wouldn't meet your specifications. The inside of the dust cover reads: "Now it can be told FOR THE FIRST TIME- The amazing almost incredible story of the conquest of a new world... ...A story of gallantry and high endeavour. 15/- net. Fourth impression." I note that the price I paid is pencilled in as £1.50, reduced from £2, so I paid twice as much as the used book cost when it was new, thanks to inflation! Still a bargain, though.

Thank you for your kind words and the memories of my granduncle. It is good to know he is still remembered for the remarkeable man he was.

Hello Rex,
Just come across this site were you mention, and talk very highly of my uncle Rodney Jonklaas. I am the son of Ena his sister,and had many memorable times with my dear uncle diving at a very young age in Trinco,were i would sort of help him catch marines for export.At the end of the day he would go into the estuary and bag a few crabs, and we would get the China man at the Chinese guest house to make the best curied crab dish ever,I would stay there,better than the Sea Anglers and alot cheaper,I think I stayed there for free as Uncle Rodney used to give the old man a load of fish we had spearfished that day as well,in payment for a bed for the night.I remember one day,we had our tanks filled,spent about 2 hours going out to sea,and when it came to dive,we discovered the tanks had been filled by a rotting vegetable heap,absolutely disgusting,so we had to free dive!!!No tanks that day. Good days.
I remember Cedric Martynstyn,do you know what happened to him? I am 56,years old now, and do not dive, it is too cold over here in England, and been spoilt in my youth in S-L.Nothing really to see here.
Hope to hear from you, and would be interested in your book.
Yames Heyneker

Last edited:
Hi Yames,

Great to hear from you. Yes Rodney was one hell of a guy. Have we met? Anyway also met Rodney's grand nephew Marc (Ena's grandson) when he was in SL some months ago. Marc is also a diver.
Yes Cedric was a good friend and a superb diver. Sadly he joined the Navy and the helicopter he was travelling in was shot down off Jaffna several years ago. I'm 69+ and still dive. Please visit my website for more information on Rodney. Home (Rex I. De Silva). Thanks to Sam Miller for informing me about your post. Please do keep in touch.

Regards

Rex

Last edited:
Hi Rex,
I am sure we must have met, I was always round my Uncle Rod,s house,maybe when he lived in Ratmalana, or Ja-Ela.I have loads of pictures somewhere of him and me,out diving,and also shooting ,when we used to go to the tanks near Sigriya,and look primarily for teal.Do you remember his menagerie of animals,the dogs,the disabled Sea Eagle,the otter, and ofcourse the fish.Do you know what happened to his amazing collection of seashells? I do believe he had some named after him, as well as a couple of fish.
I was so sorry to hear off what happened to Cedric,we spent alot of time diving together,as he worked for Uncle Rod, and did his apprenticeship with him,I believe.
I think your website is amazing,and you are such a talented man.Hope to get to S-L one day to live,once my kids are off my back!Will look forward to meeting with you.
Will let you know, when i have found the pic's.
kind regards,
Yames

Hi Yames,

Great to hear from you. Rodney's shell collection is now housed in the National Museum (Colombo). Yes, we have probably met. I used to visit him at the old place at Colonel Avenue, Nikape and later at Ja-Ela. Did some shooting with him as well. Rodney was a good shot. I don't know what happened to the dogs and other animals, but do hope that someone took good care of them. Rodney never did really get over losing Buster (the crossed beagle). I'd love to catch up with you if ever you visit S.L. I'm told that the old Chinese Guest house is still going strong, but Mr. Yo must be very old now. Do keep in touch.

Regards

Rex

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom