Rodale's pushing deep air.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Read here also

more

Wow, I forgot about some of these titles. Yep, it looks like they combined several titles/subjects that were printed in the magazine into the links that I provided.

They ran several articles and then finally anounced the SDI course. It was like a concert tour before an album release, IMO.

Tom R:
Any discussion on deep air is bad, Just don't do it. Just like the solo diving, it's stupid and who certifys them anyway. Maybe we should start teaching team/buddy awareness.

I am sure PADI-DSAT disagrees with you, I am sure TDI disagrees with you, and I am sure IANTD also disagrees with you. So you are somewhat outnumbered, sort of like Custer at the Little Big Horn. Of course, all your DIR friends are more than likely to come to your rescue, but just like those brave men of the 7th Cavalry, they are also outnumbered.

I am not agreeing nor disagreeing with you. Its just that there is no basis in logic for your statement other than a personal opinion.

My own personal view is that NACD has it right, in that no NDL dive should be deeper than 100 ft. That is their cavern standard for NDL. I believe that it should apply to all NDL diving, not just caverns. But then, that is simply my own personal view.

IndigoBlue:
The only agency that promotes deep air currently is PADI-DSAT with their tech rec air/EANx diving. But then, that only happens to represent about 1/3rd of the diving industry, all "recreational."

Like I said, I want to read the article myself, and see what I end up reading in to it. Then I can compare and contrast with you, Mike.

Absolutely wrong. I know I've asked you this before but where do you get some of this stuff.

Ever hear of PSA? Hal Watts?

TDI also teaches air pretty deep.

IANTD still has their technical diver class which is air/notrox to 170 but they also have introduced recreational and advanced recreational trimix.

MikeFerrara:
Absolutely wrong. I know I've asked you this before but where do you get some of this stuff.

Ever hear of PSA? Hal Watts?

TDI also teaches air pretty deep.

IANTD still has their technical diver class which is air/notrox to 170 but they also have introduced recreational and advanced recreational trimix.

Where do you get your stuff, Mike? Do you just hear rumours, and then believe them?

My personal experience with TDI is that they utilize their advanced deep air course (aka Extended Range) simply as a progression towards the trimix certs.

Are you both TDI and IANTD certified? If not, then you really are listening to and believing rumours. And rumours = B/S.

This could degenerate into a usual free for all.

Solo diving has advantages and disadvantages
Deep air has advantages/disadvantages

Some people will weigh up the odds and decide its for them, others will do the same and decide its opposite.

There most definately ISNT a black and white right/wrong for either.

IndigoBlue:
Where do you get your stuff, Mike? Do you just hear rumours, and then believe them?

My personal experience with TDI is that they utilize their advanced deep air course (aka Extended Range) simply as a progression towards the trimix certs.

I thought you said that TDI didn't do deep air? How much deep air do you have to do before you're qualified to dive helium?
Are you both TDI and IANTD certified? If not, then you really are listening to and believing rumours. And rumours = B/S.

As a matter of fact I am both TDI and IANTD certified.

MikeFerrara:
How much deep air do you have to do before you're qualified to dive helium?
It's like learning how to race cars. You have to get experience before they allow you to use a seat belt.

Wait, that wouldn't make much sense, would it? :)

Roak

String:
This could degenerate into a usual free for all.

Solo diving has advantages and disadvantages
Deep air has advantages/disadvantages

Some people will weigh up the odds and decide its for them, others will do the same and decide its opposite.

There most definately ISNT a black and white right/wrong for either.

We will need to see the original article so that we can see what it was that set Mike off about it. TDI and IANTD use deep air for training purposes towards their trimix certs. PADI-DSAT preaches deep are with EANx deco. Those are currently the uses for it, that I know of.

Mike will probably squirm like a worm to get this thread down some irrelevant tangent, and set up all sorts of straw men to knock down himself. But without the original Rodales article, we won't make much salient progress in any direction.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom