Rodale's pushing deep air.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Very nice post Mike!

I'm in the last 3 months of a 2 yr subscription, which I don't intend to renew. IMO, RSD does, to an extent, have interesting articles for the newer, or less experienced diver, and some of the trip deals are ok (I believe that credit is due). On the other hand, after reading that article, I'm convinced that the editors of the magazine don't have the faintest clue on much of what they write, and that a lot of what they write is either plagiarized, or copied from old issues. In fact, ever since Scuba Diving absorbed Skin Diver, the publication went to hell. It is definitely not a publication with the advanced diver in mind. For RSD to suggest that air is safe to 180' is to invite some new diver with a superman mentality to try a dive below 130, perhaps not knowing how they will react to N2 narcosis.

Rick

Diver0001 (to Mike):
I don't have a subscription to Rodales. It kind of suprises me that you do, actually. :wink: .
Yep, Mike and Chickdiver. Finally out of the closet. :D
Congratulations to both of you. :wink:

caveseeker7:
Yep, Mike and Chickdiver. Finally out of the closet. :D
Congratulations to both of you. :wink:

Chickdiver too? My mouth is open. And to think I used to believe everything they said...... It's going to take a few days to absorb this news. :11:

R..

Nothing Roadales prints suprises me anymore. Some of the articles and pictures just make me say WTF are these guys thinking?

The thing that really bothers me is that while we might know that what Rodales prints is complete BS, the new diver to whom the magazine is targeted does not. They'll end up picking up a copy and beleiving such nonsense. Roadales is just promoting misinformation and that's not fair to someone just starting out.

I look forward to getting the mag if for no other reason than to look at destinations to go diving. I always find it interesting that "articles" are usually in close proximity to ads for the same products/destinations.

dnhill

Thanks for posting this Mike...when I saw the article headline I began getting queasy...then I READ the thing...no wonder I have trouble even getting a friend on Nitrox with nonsense like that being published!

Ken

As I said, I asked My wife Sandy to notify Rodales of this thread.

I recieved an email from Michael Ange (author of the article) stating that he would enjoy expressing his views here but will be tied up for a couple of weeks and will join us when he can if it's still relevant. He apologises for the delay but looks foreward to a good academic debate.

I thought it I should let every one know.

Well...if he's still alive and well...he'd be fun to hear from upon his return.

I'm not familiar enough to defend but, I'm pretty sure Ange knows what he is doing so perhaps his article got butchered by the mag. editorial staff (long shot I know) I've had some conversations with him and I think he's up to speed on the "tech" diving. I have to agree that there just aren't any good fun magazines to read while doing other more important things. I do read it though, I just don't pay that much attention to it. Great post Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom