Rodale's pushing deep air.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just clicked on their website...poll of the day is as follows:

What is your preferred post-dive happy hour cocktail?
Cold Beer, Margarita, Tropical rum drink, Other hard liquor drink, wine.

Glad the choice for "water...I'm off-gassing and rehydrating" just didn't seem fit to add.

bwerb:
Look at Bicycling another Rodale's publication...it is very well written and informative

As a moutain biker who frequents bike forums with nearly the same regularity as I browse this one I can say with absolute definition... Rodale's Mountain Bike and Bicycling are just as well regarded as Rodale's Scuba Diving.

And mountain bikers are nowhere near as tame in their criticisms as divers are. You think there are flame wars here?

Perhaps Bicycling has changed...I read it regularly years ago (before Mountain Biking even existed) when I did a huge amount of riding and triathlon training. It was very good. With the decline in much of society, I don't think it's too much of a stretch to seem them sprialing the drain now as well. That's too bad really...thanks for the update on the current state of affairs.

Never seen the magazine so cant comment. The main reason "deep" air is still done around here is cost. You could pay 10-20x for a fill on trimix vs air.

Out of interest what was the article defining as "deep" ?

bwerb:
Mr. Bunny...er...Steven, my problem with Rodales is that it doesn't have to be that way at all.
It could be better. It should be better. It just isn't. :11:

I don't mind that people buy it - for the pictures or even for the articles - I just wish that when they're done with it they would wash their hands and put the thing back between the mattress and the box spring, where it belongs.

Most of us know Bernie Chowdhury and Curt Bowen, does anyone even know the name of the editor of ScubaDiving? Does he dive? Trying to reform an unrepentent sinner is usually futile and averts our attention from mags like Immersed and Advanced Diver that ARE trying to put out good products.

But like I said, I think it's wonderful that Mike has the umph to tilt at this windmill - and I'm happy to carry a lance or two for him.

Sign me,

Sancho Panza

Nice write up Mike.... you should start your own diving magazine! One where you point out the flaws and total BS in other magazines...

boney:
One where you point out the flaws and total BS in other magazines...

Have you seen the new issue of Diver's Ocean Planet?

On the "letters to the editor" page the editors write a response to lots of people who have written in criticizing their comparatively plain covers (usually, for those who aren't familiar, just one beautiful photo with the words "Diver's Ocean Planet" above, or below, or sometimes to the side of it). Their response is a very busy cover with **** all over it like, "101 things you already knew," "Tips from so-called experts that are just plain wrong," and "WOW Pictures of Fish You've Seen a Billion Times!"

It was hysterical.

Nice write-up Mike. Send it to Scuba Diving Magazine.
Rick

reefraff:
ScubaDiving magazine is like Playboy: no matter what anyone says, they don't buy it for the articles. I haven't seen the article but I'll hazard a guess that it's much like everything else in the magazine - designed to sell scuba as a safe and easy leisure activity or else to peddle a more specific product.

My opinion is that they're selling TDI classes. Kind of like the promo campaign they ran for solo diving a while back. The were printing articles with titles likt "The Dangers of The Buddy System" and wouldn't you know then they anounce the introduction of the SDI solo diver course with an it's oubout time slanty on it.

There is room for more than one opinion which is why I didn't try to argue the exact depth that should be used for an END but I saw the article as making blatantly false statements about equipment, the number of gasses that must be used (when and why) and gas management. I mean if reserve gas wasn't meant to get a buddy back then why do we use gas matching? This guy knows better, or should.
Your continued capacity to be outraged by articles like this speaks to your apparent belief in the inherent good nature and decency of your fellow man and is an inspiration to us all.

Just sign me,

That's giving me too much credit. LOL

Back
Top Bottom