Rocket Ascents... Can divers breach like a fish (split from Accident in Mich)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pants!:
I guess you're not sure... your "guess" is incorrect :wink:

Both objects, ignoring negligible air resistance, will have velocities that change by exactly 32 ft/s every second.

exactly, eh?

pants!:
Close enough :p

Pants, you have a lot of good advice to give and you are an asset to the Board but don't know what your dive experience level is. Have you been diving long?

wedivebc:
Did anyone happen to notice in the original thread our boy said the divers acent rate was 100ft in 10 sec. Since the acceleration of gravity is 32 ft/sec squared , 10ft per sec will hardly get your shoulders out of the water

Just to add more ridiculousness...

100 feet in 10 seconds yields an AVERAGE velocity of 10ft/s.

But we're concerned with the INSTANTANEOUS velocity at the surface. However unlikely, it's possible that 9 of those 10 seconds were used up transversing the first 1 foot of the ascent.

At that point - taking into consideration another recent thread - the diver may have "passed wind" in a manner so extreme that, while it decreased the buoyant force (by virtue of the decreased volume of the intestines), it added substantial thrust (quite like a rocket engine), which was a function of the "wind's" density and velocity. Maybe the diver was born with a deformity, a convergent-divergent (De Laval) anus, that drastically accelerated the "wind," and propelled the diver the remaining 99 feet throughout the 1 second duration of the constant-force "wind passing."

Like I said... unlikely, but possible.

lamont:
aha, that explains why i'm not a Lagavulin drinker... peat slows you down...

Lagavulin?! Laphroaig!! .... phew ... I'd rather chew on charcoal.

Blackwood:
, a convergent-divergent (De Laval) anus, that drastically accelerated the "wind," and propelled the diver the remaining 99 feet throughout the 1 second duration of the constant-force "wind passing."

Do you have any data on the effects of supersonic flow for that particular gas?

Aquanaut4ata:
they do slow down faster when travelling up.....

They do not! No more than they fall faster. What stops a rising object? Gravity. what makes it fall? Gravity. Are you saying that there are 2 different gravities??

D_B:
(boy , you guys are fast)
anyone remember the hammer / feather trick on the moon?

DB

I mentioned that last nite in a post on this subject.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom