Rock and a hard place, looking for vac/anniversary destination

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Consider Bocas del Toro, Panama. We moved here after spending many years in Miami, the Keys, the Bahamas, Belize, and North Carolina and experiencing hurricanes in each of these locations. We decided we had enough of hurricanes and haven't looked back. The web site BOCAS DEL TORO - Tourism in the Panama Caribbean region has some good general information about the area and there are at least three all inclusive resorts: Tranquilo Bay, Au Naturale, and Punta Caracol are all beautiful resorts.

When I was in Bocas this real fat tropical storm came through and the place we were staying was out of beer. I took a water taxi to town and went to a bar. Can't remember the name of the place but it's on the end of "main street" closest to the harbor. I bargained with the bartender and bought an entire bottle of rum. The whole time I had no shoes on. When we got back the other half of our party had been filming the storm. The camera never worked right again. The storm turned into a hurricane afterward and nailed the U.S. It was fun :D

I love Anse Chastenet and their upper end hotel, Jade Mtn is one of my ALL time favorite hotels. You have a pool INSIDE your room, private butler and only 3 walls on the room. BUT the diving in St. Lucia has deteriorated to an algae covered bottom with a smattering of fish.

How about Fiji? Here's why. You leave on Thurs. sleep on the plane and arrive Sat. am (out of LAX). There are amazing resorts for an anniversary. I highly recommend Wananavu Beach Resort (they were just running a great special at the Long Beach Show- email and ask them). They have brand new honeymoon villas and one (bure #50) is ON the beach with it's own private plunge pool. The diving out in the Bligh waters is some of the best in Fiji. Only thing about August is that it can be windy (or not!).

There are other great resorts on Fiji as well, but that's my fav. There is a new zipline course being built just outside Nadi, I think it is supposed to be finished in July. Or, take the Long way around the island through Suva and stop for a night in Pacific Harbor. There you can do the amazing shark dive with Aqua Trek (bulls, tigers, the works!) and also do a day of rafting and a zip line over there too. LOTS to do!!!

Anyways, that's my vote.

Oh, if you go the Belize route, I highly recommend Turneffe Island Lodge. Very quiet on it's own 20 acre island, great diving 5 minutes from the resort. You can also tag on a few days at Blancaneaux, Frances Ford Coppola's beautiful inland lodge, or if you like to bird, try Chan Chich for a few days inland. (you can do four days at Turneffe and a couple at Blancaneux- though it makes it quite busy. I'd try to take 10 days.

Personally I think you can do much better than Coz or the keys for your anniversary.

He didn't say how long he can take off or how much he wanted to spend, did he?

We have thought about Hawaii but everyone we talk to says need to go for more than a week because of the flight time??

Mantagirl-
Fiji is on the list (as well as Bora Bora and the Maldives) but that would have to be some time down the road. I'm sure it is expensive and sounds like you would have to have about a week and a half (half a week for traveling) We usually use Delta Vacations because of our skymiles program and they don't have Fiji listed. Who did you book with to get there?

For the most part our previous vacations have been anywhere from $2500 to $4000 no matter where we have been and being able to do whatever we wanted to do within reason. The last anniversary was close to $4000 because of my AOW certification course.

I have been looking at Cozumel (now since the posts) and a little at Belize and Roatan.

Never thought Panama and before just lumped Cancun and Cozumel area in the 'hurricane belt'.

Keep in mind that pretty much anywhere in Roatan you are going to have no-seeums on the beach. As long as you stick to the hammocks or beach chairs and wear repellant on your lower legs, you will be fine. Its not a big deal, but I wouldn't want you to go there and have your wife lay directly on the beach the first day and wind up miserable the rest of the trip.

I second what AggieDiver said about Roatan and bugs. If she isn't a diver and mostly wants to hang out on the beach/pool area she would probably be eaten alive.

If you are looking at Cozumel and she wants a beach/pool area, I would probably stay further from town then. The plus is that you are closer to the good dive sites and she can have a real beach. Downside is the taxi would be more if you want to go into town. We stay at Hotel Cozumel which is cheap and close to town (walking distance) but it's not very "romantic" and they have a man-made "beach". Most places closer to town aren't going to have a beach.

We stayed at a place called White Sands Cove on Ambergris Key in Belize and it was nice. They had golf carts you could rent to drive into San Pedro which my husband had SOOOO much fun racing around in (as much as you can race in a golf cart). They had an on-site dive shop (which was nice because it didn't seem to be a crowded place) and they will take you to snorkel or dive Hol Chan Marine Reserve & Shark Ray Alley. We wished we had taken our dive gear out because there were several eagle rays gliding up and down the channel just below us.

Fantasy Island doesn't seem to have a bug problem. They fog very early each day which seems to keep them under control. Lots of non divers there on the beach every day, and I walked the beach to and from lunch never using any spray at all in February, altho I did have it in case. The food was marginal, but the rest of the place great.

No One mentioned San Andres Island Co of the coast of Nicaragua, which is out of the hurricane belt. It is as far south as Aruba and Bonaire which are considered out of the hurricane belt and much further west.
Great diving, resorts from cheap backpackers to 5 star on the water with water sports and snorkeling. Most everything you want is within walking distance if you book a resort in town. There are a few high end resorts out of town also if you don’t want the hustle/bustle of the city.
Contact me if you need any additional info
Ciao
Tad

Back
Top Bottom