Robbery warning, Punta Cana. Dominican Republic

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The first report that I passed on had an error, and I have asked to have this thread moved to another forum. The report that our customers suffered assault/robbery in Mexico's Punta Can was in error.

The young couple was robbed at the point of a machete, while walking on the beach just a bit outside the Sivory Resort in Punta Cana, Dominican Republic.

That resort posted no warning sign, and the guards made no attempt to warn the couple.

Obviously this couple now realizes their error in traveling with valuable jewelry, but they were not terribly experienced at world travel, and were not in tune with the risks.

---------- Post added March 27th, 2013 at 01:08 PM ----------

Thank you mods for moving this post to the correct forum!

Our customer was so traumatized by this assault that when they called us from Punta Cana, we misunderstood part of what they said, and it was our mistake placing this incident in MX, rather than DR

Last edited:
Wearing high dollar jewelry has already been addressed so ill leave that one be. When I went to the DR during college, the armed guards around the resort and private homes at night seemed self explanatory. The guards aren't going to mess with guests, not even to warn them, but their mere presence should be warning enough.

Ok, I can't help it. Why would you bring expensive jewelry on vacation? That's just silly for a whole bunch of reasons.

Was this a resort actually in the city/region of Punta Cana, or somewhere along the north shore, which really is Bavaro, but is usually marketed as being Punta Cana as well? I ask because we were on vacation in "Punta Cana" in February, but were really staying in a resort in Bavaro, and there were no armed guards or anything anywhere to be seen, felt totally safe the whole time.

Was this a resort actually in the city/region of Punta Cana, or somewhere along the north shore, which really is Bavaro, but is usually marketed as being Punta Cana as well? I ask because we were on vacation in "Punta Cana" in February, but were really staying in a resort in Bavaro, and there were no armed guards or anything anywhere to be seen, felt totally safe the whole time.

The resort promotes itself as Sivory Punta Cana, but I believe they ar
e located to the North of that city.

This couple also had felt very safe.
No longer of course.

Jim - $50 says that the security guard informed the perp of a target heading his way!!!

That seems quite likely. A private investigation is ongoing, due to lack of local police interest.
So far that investigation seems to suggest a recurring, organized pattern.

allow me to have my doubts about the whole thing...and if they went off the property and ignored the guards, what can i say?

allow me to have my doubts about the whole thing...and if they went off the property and ignored the guards, what can i say?

I'm sorry....from what part of post #1:

"They had walked right past guards on each of the two previous days, with no one suggesting that they stop. The guards simply watched as the couple strolled past on their morning walk down the beach, with no attempt to warn them. "

do you interpret as them "ignoring the guards"?

While the couple in their naivety certainly may not have made the wisest choices, they never "ignored" any warnings. There were NO warnings what so ever.

No signs, no verbal warnings by the guards who watched them without saying a word to them on each of the three consecutive days they walked past on that beach. THAT is the issue they have with the resort.

I was there in Feb also, no worries. But I know, not matter what city I travel in whether it be in the US or any of the islands, there are certain things you don't do! And in all the guidelines at EVERY hotel I've stayed at, wearing expensive jewelry, and flashing large amounts of cash is a no no.

---------- Post added March 27th, 2013 at 09:03 PM ----------

I'm sorry....from what part of post #1:

"They had walked right past guards on each of the two previous days, with no one suggesting that they stop. The guards simply watched as the couple strolled past on their morning walk down the beach, with no attempt to warn them. "

do you interpret as them "ignoring the guards"?

While the couple in their naivety certainly may not have made the wisest choices, they never "ignored" any warnings. There were NO warnings what so ever.

No signs, no verbal warnings by the guards who watched them without saying a word to them on each of the three consecutive days they walked past on that beach. THAT is the issue they have with the resort.

the guards are you usually there to keep people out, not to keep them in!!!

the guards are you usually there to keep people out, not to keep them in!!!

Prison guards keep people in. Lol

I agree with you entirely!

Jim, I don't know if they ignored the guards, but they ignored the fact that the resort felt the need to post guards. I've never received a warning from a resort, but not walking down a dark beach away from the resort in a fairly impoverished country wearing bling should be common sense.

Back
Top Bottom