Robbery warning, Punta Cana. Dominican Republic

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

um.....if your name is Nanny Bloomberg I am sure you could work out something.

Us, working folks........wanna make a bet?

Obviously our customers made more than a few mistakes, which they are very much aware of (NOW).

As novices for such travel this young couple took the remote location of the resort as a good sign, and were impressed and enticed by the resort's advertisements of a safe fun get away, and they did not realize the reputation bad of the DR before this trip.

The guards lack of interest and warnings by either those guards, or even a posted sign, when they strolled on the inviting beach, they took as confirmation of the sense of security that they incorrectly felt.

While I have since made some accurate, non precious copies of several of this couple's more valuable pieces of jewelry, but I also attempted to pass on my observation that even such low value copies look very inviting to someone who is not aware that they are fake, if they are worn in a questionable environment (but I am just the craftsman, and do not deal directly with these customers). My suggestion is to leave anything that even looks valuable at home in the safe, and wear obviously cheap, fun play jewelry that no-one wants to take.

Were you the travel agent for this couple? Because your suggestion, is the generic suggestion for anywhere unknown that you travel?

I was at Bavaro beach with my familiy from 13 to 23 june 2013 and seemed to be quite safe, beaches are patroled by the Politur (touristic police) and each hotel has their own watchmen at the beach, they keep beaches free of undesirable persons. In D.R. beaches are public, except at Punta Cana resort, so anyone can theoretically stay there, but in the facts it is not that way. I also been at Bayahibe bay, Catalina and Saona islands, rather remote areas, even there the Politur helped to be almost free of peddlers and annoying persons. Maybe the goverment noticed the importance of keeping tourist safe and improved security. Can´t say what´s like at non touristic areas, talking with locals heard that some drug and crime problems are starting at north, near the border with Haiti

Back
Top Bottom