Roatan: West end or west bay???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Best place:

In terms of diving, it doesn't matter as the majority of diving is done on the stretch of reef that encompasses both west end & west bay.

West Bay is more expensive than West End. In west end you can find some pretty basic accomodation (no A/C or hot water) for $20 easy. The bars are also much cheaper in West End ($1.20 for beers at Sundowners during happy hour, that's where my wages went :crafty:)
West bay is more for people who want a bit of luxury and don't mind paying that little bit more for everything. However if you're coming from France you might want to cut down on the cost when you arrive.
IMHO

we stayed at Chillies in west end..basic but great lol dove with native sons, couldnt ask for better will be doing again!

If you are staying in West End, the choice of Dive shops is much better than you have in West Bay. I may get bashed on here, but I have dove with multiple Dive shops in West End and West Bay, and in my opinion, The best ones in West End are (in no particular order) Coconut Tree, Reef Gliders, West End Divers and Atlantic Sea Divers. I am not recommending any West Bay Dive shops. The Posada you have posted is a really neat inn that I'm sure you will enjoy.

i am hesitating between

Foster's West Bay Resort - Beachfront Cabana Rentals - Bay Islands Roatan

and

Posada Arco Iris - Lodgings

is it possible to stay in west end and dive with a dive shop in West bay? ( Anemona )
It's possible but it's also too far to walk. IDK exactly where Anemona is but it's got to be at least two miles. There are several water taxis available - including between the Foster's locations IIRC.

From Posada you're a block away from Native Sons or Coconut Tree Divers. We dove with CTD all week, they're a good operation. Argentinian Grille is a good place to eat. Sundowners just across the street is a divers bar - with an internet cafe - Woody's next door is the bigger of two local markets.

One thing about Posada - the resort runs perpendicular to the beach and is across the road (most are) so the views are somewhat blocked by the restaurant, trees and other guests balconies that you have to look thru. You can sort of see it here although I believe this view is looking inland: Posada Arco Iris

It will be much more relaxing to stay and dive close by. Sometimes people stay in West Bay and want to book to dive with us and after a day or so of looking for taxis to get here in time for the 9am dive they give up! How important is the beach to you? The best thing about West Bay is the beach. It is really beautiful. If you are going to spend most of your time diving it won't be so important.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom