Jan & Feb- the “Norther” weather patterns begin

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Been blowing “like stink” since last week, here is an image, better seen at Marine Graphical Composite Forecast Map for Caribbean Offshore Waters

IMG_0420.jpeg

Note the yellow polygons shown on West and North shores, they demarcate 6’ rollers. If a dive op is diving they have moved to the South side.

This is the lingering effect of a seasonal Norther.

I think it was about 3 years ago when Texas got hit by some nasty freezes, along with power-outages, water-outages ,and more. Since then I think people here have become a little more prepared. Where I'm at a few pipes froze, but nothing burst. No power-outages that I've heard of either. I know a number of people who simply disconnected their water until the freeze passed.
I were one of them without power and heat for 3 1/2 days back then when temps hovered between 0 and 15 deg F. Managed without undue damage (sprinkler system vacuum breaker outside had a valve that burst open - but no spraying /leaks) - just chilly.

Have since become equipped with a couple of spare Northern Tool propane space heaters. Don't like being chilly. So...

Scuba in water cooler than 80 deg f? Is that really something that sane people do? Max depth is defined not by dive plan or dive objective, but by encounter with the first chilly thermocline.

I were one of them without power and heat for 3 1/2 days back then when temps hovered between 0 and 15 deg F. Managed without undue damage (sprinkler system vacuum breaker outside had a valve that burst open - but no spraying /leaks) - just chilly.

Have since become equipped with a couple of spare Northern Tool propane space heaters. Don't like being chilly. So...

Scuba in water cooler than 80 deg f? Is that really something that sane people do? Max depth is defined not by dive plan or dive objective, but by encounter with the first chilly thermocline.
Scuba in colder waters is amazing. Completely different experience with different critters. Yeah it takes more/different gear. But so worth it. Here in the PNW the water this time of year is typically around 47°F. Yes you get cold. But you warm up chattering about the 6 gill shark you saw, or the colors on the Pacific Spiny Limpsuckers you found. Don't knock it till you try it!

I went about 1-week without power, and almost 1-week without water. Several neighbors had pipe-bursts in their ceilings, although I did not. At the time, in order to flush, I rigged up a bucket to some rope, and dropped it 20 feet into this large rain run-off management thing. My neighbors initially made skeptical and joking comments the first day, but were borrowing my bucket contraption by day 2 or 3.

Looks like “the Norther” season may well have collapsed. The weather geeks are not anticipating any hard Southerly push of Arctic air into the Southern US for this Q1.

My main weather source:

Attachments

• IMG_9741.jpeg
    IMG_9741.jpeg
    98.9 KB · Views: 28
Jan 29
Drizzle returns
South Side flat, West/North is rockin’

Last of January
Same as last entry

IMG_0462.jpeg

1/31 Wednesday