Roatan-water temps and exposure protection

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GTaylor

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am heading to FIBR in late July and wanted to know if a rashguard/2mm neoprene top with shorts would be okay? If not then what type of wetsuit would be appropriate, trying to pack as light as possible. TIA for any help

Greg

In July you should be fine wearing the rashguard and neoprene top. The water temps should be in the 80's in July.

We'll be there from July 10th - 20th. Water temp during that period last year was 84 degrees. Nothing more than a skin for me!!!:D

I went to Roatan the first week of April and the water was 81 degrees. By mid summer the water will probably be in the mid to high 80's and you will be very comfortable with just a rash gaurd . I would still wear a full length suit just for the skin protection it provides. I once brushed against fire corral and had blisters on my leg for about 2 months. I also find that I start to get cold by the end of the week after 15-18 dives. Just my opinion.

Thanks for the help, looks like it should be nice temps. Can't quite bring myself to wear a skin, don't have a great form for that.

Greg

Great thing about divers...nobody is worried about your form. Do whatever is comfortable and have a great time - that's what it's all about!

I went to FIBR end of october 2006 and used a 3/2mm full suit in 82ºF water. If you do all the dives, you are going to be doing 3 to 4 60 minute dives a day! At the last dive of the day, I could certainly feel the cold at the end of the dive. Not bone chilling, but still chilly. I was happy to have my 3mm! I say this, and I'm not a chilly willy. Generally, cold isn't a problem for me as I'm used to diving in 14mm of neoprene and 45ºF water... But then again, I don't have that much natural insolation either...

I would definetly go with a full 3 or 2mm suit! Better a bit too warm, than too cool...

Hope this helps you make yourself an idea!:coffee:

It's 82-84 degrees at this time of year. Winter months (Dec-April) and on rare occasions, there are quick periods of 78-80 degrees or so.

Always the current observations: http://www.docksidedivecenter.com/WeeklyLog.html Looks like it's 83 right now, page through "previous weeks" and watch the temps vary.

I never wear less than a 3mm fullsuit anywhere.... we were just in Palau in Dec with water temps 84-86 degrees, but doing 4-5 dives per day meant that body core temp did drop, so I was getting cold by the end of the day every day. After doing 20-25 dives in a week, you will be glad if you take a fullsuit with you.

And Cajundiva is right - diving is not a glamour sport, no one cares what you look like in your suit. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom