Question Head/neck sun protection when snorkeling?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JimQPublic

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
For both reef protection and skin protection I'm trying to reduce the need for sunscreen by covering more. Also I don't have enough hair to protect my head but too much hair to apply sunscreen. I've been wearing a hooded rashguard but will switch to a long-sleeve 2mm neoprene top for a little more warmth. I'm not finding many with a hood until I go thicker. What do people suggest for sun protection on the head/neck? I don't mind being a bit dorky, but a full wetsuit hood in Hawaii seems silly. A swim cap would protect my head, but not neck. Buff?

Bright colors would be good so I'm easier to spot (family and god forbid lifeguards)

Background- Going to Maui in January. We were just there and I used a hooded lycra rashguard over a 1.5 mm short-sleeve neoprene t-shirt. I got a little cool and January water temp is predicted as 3 degrees cooler. I want to switch to a long sleeve neoprene top with 2-3 mm thickness. Don't want a full wetsuit as I like being able to peel the top off between snorkeling sessions. We typically hit 2-3 beaches in a day with shopping or restaurants in between. Board shorts work great for that.

I use BUFF's for all of my snorkeling and nearly all of my diving. They are easily configured as a hood. They'll handle your head just fine, and most all of your neck also.

Sometimes I'll wear (2) BUFF's if I'm going to be snorkeling for a long time. I pull one of the BUFF's over as a full hood, and the second BUFF I leave down for a longer and overlapping neck cover.

Dude!!!

btmlpb1625217468968.jpg

Any reason you can't wear the new 2mm neoprene top over (or under) the hooded rashguard?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom