Roatan Or Fiji

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Never been to Roatan, but cannot imagine it would be better than Fiji. Check out tripadviser reports on Taveuni Ocean Sports. We have been there four times. The reviews are accurate. They are simply the best with amazing diving in the Rainbow Reef.

There is no comparison. Okay I guess if you want to compare, Roatan compare to Fiji will be like diving in a quarry versus diving in an aquarium.

Keep in mind the caribbean cannot compare to anything in the indo pacific. Just compare the statistics of the difference in the amount of bio diversity, the numbers just don't lie

Where are you leaving from/returning to? Is it the U.S.?

When you plug your dates & destination into Orbitz, Travelocity or similar, how do the plane trips compare in terms of # of flights, flight times, layovers & cost? How long does it take you to get there? How long can you bear to plant your butt in a plane seat continuously?

Is the trip all about the diving? If not, what else do you want to do?

How did you arrive at Fiji as the sole alternative to Roatan?

When you check into Roatan, you'll find in other threads that the island has different regions, and your stay at different parts & resorts can give you a much different experience. Many people love CocoView, so I recommend checking that out for an 'all you need on the resort grounds, whole lotta diving in a week' trip. Get your cost, travel arrangements, etc...laid out. Read some reviews.

With that as your yardstick, then pick a popularly recommended resort in Fiji, and start doing the same thing.

Richard.

Jeez, Richard. it was a simple question. Have to been to both places? If not, how can you validly answer?

The answer, by the way, is very simple. Fiji is better diving. Period. It might not be cheaper, it might take more time to get there, you might not like the food (but Kokoda -- pronounced ko-con-da -- is awesome), and you won't get to see the Prince Albert again and again and again. But the Fijiian diving is better.

If you have a chance to go to Fiji, take it! And don't think twice. You can always go to Roatan. However, if you go to Fiji, it will set the bar pretty high for any other place you intend to go.

How did you arrive at Fiji as the sole alternative to Roatan?

I think you've hit on something there.:troll:

I love Roatan for the easy access and the budget rates it offers. I have never been to Fiji but if I did, it would be a bucket list destination for me. If both places could be accessed in the same time and money Fiji would beat Roatan any day (at least for me).

No question - Fiji. If you think there's any comparason watch this:
It was shot during the best vis over a 2 week period. Beside the poor vis, I found the Marine Park to be almost devoid of large, mature fish, large schools of small fish, fish in general. The fish life, what there was was almost entirely very small juveniles. This was the south side and I've since been told that the north side is different - still I'd never go back.

"it was a simple question. Have to been to both places? If not, how can you validly answer?"

The question was too simple. The original poster presumably asked in order to aid discriminating between the 2 as trip destinations. I have't been to either, so I didn't answer the question, but rather asked for additional info. to expand on it that should help others who can do so, answer to help.

The OP self-describes as a vacation diver presently with under 25 dives, omitted some needed detail and inquired about 2 geographically very widely spaced destinations. I think it's reasonable to try and expand on things to aid planning.

Richard.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom