Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sometimes it pays not to be coastal elites. In Iowa City, we can get ours back within 6 hours. It might help just *bit* that my company is the one producing most of the reagents for the kits. Theoretically, I could run these tests on myself just hopping labs in my building.
You have to make sure it is the right test. Most of the islands specifically require an RT-PCR test. It requires an RT part of conversion RNA in the sample into DNA before actual test is run and it takes time. Most of the rapid tests are antigen tests and they do not qualify. New saliva test is promising but not widely available yet (I believe NBA uses it). Iowa is a great state, it is very boring to drive through however.... :)

Gotcha. It's just a very loaded term these days and thrown around disparagingly.

I can understand your position about Iowa. I'd be offended, too, that people only assumed it was full of corn. Did the forget about the gophers? People got no respect.

I thought Iowa was best known for the right to repair movement and corrupt senators. Well, that and beautiful farmer's daughters. Let's be honest. That's probably what it's REALLY best known for.

You have to make sure it is the right test. Most of the islands specifically require an RT-PCR test. It requires an RT part of conversion RNA in the sample into DNA before actual test is run and it takes time. Most of the rapid tests are antigen tests and they do not qualify. New saliva test is promising but not widely available yet (I believe NBA uses it). Iowa is a great state, it is very boring to drive through however.... :)
Yes, I'm aware. Like I said, my company makes most of the components for the test kits. I hold patents on one of the components and one of the processes. My sister group makes the master mix for the rtPCR. I've even done the PCR myself while we were in development.

UIHC and the state hygienics lab so the rtPCR test using our kits.

Yes, I'm aware. Like I said, my company makes most of the components for the test kits. I hold patents on one of the components and one of the processes. My sister group makes the master mix for the rtPCR. I've even done the PCR myself while we were in development.

I'd like to order four, please.

Thank you.

so i guess you will soon be one of the richest guys in iowa ? :)

so i guess you will soon be one of the richest guys in iowa ? :)
My company just had our best quarter ever, by far. My share was a $1,000 bonus when each of the patents was filed. And all of our essential workers in manufacturing and R&D got a bonus this summer, too, to thank us for working our asses off since March to meet demands.

I'm not likely going to become one of the richest people in Iowa anytime soon.

It's a joke. Other Midwesterners would get it. We get dismissed as "flyover country" country all the time. I can't tell you how many times I've been told there is nothing in Iowa but corn or the number of times it's been said or implied to me that it's not worth being a diver in a state that doesn't border the ocean.
Wait... are you telling us that there's actually more than corn in Iowa???:wink:

Wait... are you telling us that there's actually more than corn in Iowa???:wink:
There's a whole lot of coronavirus, too.

Iowa also has hogs.
They need some place for all that corn to grow and the waste produce keeps them on a level playing field with Chicago :)

Back
Top Bottom