Roatan - illness?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lsudive

Registered
Reaction score
We are going to Anthony's Key in Roatan for 7 days in May-June. I read on an American gov't website about all the illnesses and parasites i need to be concerned about. Can most of these be avoided by using insect repellent and not drinking the water? The site also said that there are bathing/showering precautions due to some parasite that comes from snails. The AKR website states they process their water so that it is safe for bathing, drinking, and teeth-brushing. Should I believe this? anyone been to AKR ? What were your experiences with turista?

I think your biggest risk from your trip will be from catching something is on the airplane - 2-/12 hours in a confined space with recirculated, very dry air. Wash your hands often, drink lots of non-diuretic fluids, and just get in line for the plane's potty.

I take 2 cans of strong insect repellent and spray often - every time I leave the room or the dive area to avoid the biting sand bugs and skeeters. If you see bats flying, don't worry, as they're just eating the skeeters, and that's good. If you see one on the ground, it's sick - maybe rabid, so just walk away. The staff will dispose of it soon. And while most don't, I follow CDC advice and take the malaria preventative; the one suggested for Cent Amer is only once a week for 7 weeks on a one week stay and pretty benign.

While diving, I'll try to drink 3 quarts of non-diuretics a day, after my initial quart of coffee in the morning, but the bottled water there is reverse osmossis "empty" water, not what our ancestors adapted to. I've seen people dehydrate on it. Gatorade is better.

AKR's water system is probably safe, but I'll put 1 oz or laundry bleach in a dropper bottle from my pharmacy and add 3 drops per quart of tap water there, just to be safe. Label it "water treatment," and pharmacutical portions of such are legal and safe in your checked luggage.

You don't get into really significant risks unless you do a jungle tour. There, you want to treat your clothes heavily before putting them on, wear long sleeves and pants, blouse or tape your cuffs, spray exposes areas well & often. If they tell you that DEET is not allowed in the jungle tour, I'd pass. There are other island tours where you need more precautions than around AKR's resort area.

This thread would be better served, I think, in the Cent Amer forum. I'll ask a Mod if they'll move it there. Enjoy the trip! :D

My wife and I just got back (SAT) from CoCoView and had a great time I had one time episode of the runs but thats not surprising as I am a simple meat & potato's man so while the food was good fish,pork,rice etc do not agree with my system most of the time. I never used bug spray and got bites on two occasions that I did not know about until my wife pointed them out to me.
Go for it great diving.

DandyDon:
I think your biggest risk..<snip>....Enjoy the trip! :D

What he said.

cdiver2:
Thanks for the help had a great time at CCV

Most folks do, they get few complaints from any real divers.

lsudive:
We are going to Anthony's Key in Roatan for 7 days in May-June. I read on an American gov't website about all the illnesses and parasites i need to be concerned about. Can most of these be avoided by using insect repellent and not drinking the water? The site also said that there are bathing/showering precautions due to some parasite that comes from snails. The AKR website states they process their water so that it is safe for bathing, drinking, and teeth-brushing. Should I believe this? anyone been to AKR ? What were your experiences with turista?

1. Sand fleas (aka no see ums) & pathogen carrying insects.

Here's an updated edited version of my "Ask RSD" article on the topic in "Rodale's Scuba Diving."

"Sand fleas & mosquitoes can be a real bother, not to mention that they are sources of some serious tropical diseases.

The danger & bother of insects can be substantially reduced by these precautions: (1) Wear long sleeves and pants, avoiding dark or bright colors, especially at dawn and dusk. Protective clothing such as the "Buzz Off" brand can be useful http://www.bluequillangler.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/buzz-off.html. As an extra precaution, you may treat clothing with permethrin (As in the easy to use Sawyer Products http://www.permethrin-repellent.com ); (2) Try to stay indoors at dawn and dusk when many flying insects are most active, and avoid sandy areas as much as possible at any time of day, especially when there is no breeze. When making reservations, make sure the resort has screened windows; (3) Wear insect repellent. The best protection against these and other insects is full strength DEET. Some divers like things such as Avon's Skin-So-Soft & Cactus Juice, less toxic products than DEET, by the science is solidly behind DEET for lasting effectiveness. Most DEET containing repellents are the 15-30% range of concentration. The testing of various strengths of DEET has shown that after about 30% little additional effectiveness is to be had by upping the strength, and even less after about 50%. As such, there is simply no point in exposing oneself to more potent brews. UltraThon at 32% http://www.3m.com/us/home_leisure/ultrathon appears to be a good product. Used as directed over relatively brief periods of time, say a week, DEET has been shown to pose no significant risk when applied to exposed skin. If you wear lightweight, loose fitting clothes, it generally is safe to use DEET underneath. Doing so with heavy, snug fitting clothes can result in dermatological problems & worse. Be aware that DEET can dissolve synthetics like plastics, rayon & nylon, so it's best to wear natural fibers & keep it off of your gear; (4) Avoid scented toiletries and perfumes; (5) Upon arrival, treat your room with a bug bomb such as Shelltox or Fish (stay outside while this is being done). Touch up with spray after that as needed.

Precautions such as these can go a long way toward insuring your comfort, although they of course don't guarantee that you will not get bitten. It is therefore wise to take along whatever medications you have found helpful in treating bites, such as Calamine lotion/cream, hydrocortisone lotion/cream and nonsedating oral antihistamines. A number of outdoorspeople swear by AfterBite (http://www.tendercorp.com/afterbite.html) applied as soon as possible."

Remember that if you have a severe allergic reaction, don't get substantial resolution from self treatment, or the eruption seems to be getting worse or infected, you should seek medical attention in a timely manner."

2. Traveler's diarrhea.

I have a rather detailed article on the topic in the Apr '02 issue of "Undercurrent" http://www.undercurrent.org/ if you are a subscriber, either pulp or online

If not, you could read this from my March '00 "Ask RSD" column:

Most travelers to the greater Caribbean report no problem with diarrhea. If concerned, the first step is watching what you drink. Major hotels and restaurants use purified tap water and ice--if in doubt, ask. Many supply bottled water free, and it can be purchased almost anywhere--domestics are the best buy. For extra care, brush teeth/rinse toothbrushes with it. Bottled beverages are generally very safe, but avoid unpasteurized products. Lime or alcoholic spirits may make drinks tastier and more fun, but don't count on them for protection.

Watch what you eat: (1) avoid or work your way up to greasy, fatty and spicy foods, and items you are not used to; (2) eat only fruits and vegetables which have been peeled/ thoroughly washed, and best to stick with the well cooked; (3) things like steak tartare, ceviche and raw shellfish can be inviting trouble; and (4) pass on street vendors and places that appear unhygienic.

If you are susceptible to traveler's diarrhea, starting Pepto-Bismol several days before and throughout the trip can be quite helpful, although this compound may not be well tolerated by some (e.g., those who do not tolerate aspirin), should not used with certain other drugs, and is not intended for long term use.

Many physicians caution individuals against taking antibiotics preventively without a sound reason. If your diarrhea is caused by something other than a microorganism, or by one which is not targeted by or resistant to the antibiotic being taken, the drug simply make things worse. Antibiotics used to prevent and treat some types of diarrhea include Septra, Bactrim, Vibramycin, and Cipro. These are not medications to be used without physician consultation, even if some can be purchased without a prescription in foreign countries. They can cause a severe or fatal allergic reaction, and some can cause sensitivity to the sun, sometimes extreme; special precautions need to be taken when using them.

If you are stricken, some experts recommend seeking medical attention if the diarrhea lasts more than two days, or is accompanied by fever, headache or bloody stool. Pepto-Bismol is also used for the treatment of diarrhea, although under a more aggressive regimen. Along with the antibiotics mentioned above, other medications given for the control of symptoms include Lomotil (prescription only in the US), and the over the counter product, Imodium, although they can cause complications in those with serious infections, and may even prolong the course of the illness while controlling some of the features. Prescription antidiarrheals are also not to be used without physician consultation.

Diarrhea by its very nature results in fluid loss, drugs like Lomotil and Imodium can be drying. Plus, many manufacturers recommend that water be taken liberally while on antibiotics. If you get ill, drink plenty of water & sports drinks, even more if taking medication.

It is a good idea to hold off on diving until your more troubling signs & symptoms have passed, and, if you are taking medications, until you can assess what side effects, if any, you are going to experience.

There is no reason to fear diarrhea given common sense measures. If you take any medications, understand their adverse effects and carefully follow directions."

Should you be stricken on Roatan, there are several clinics well versed in treating the disorder--AKR can direct you.

3. Malaria.

Vol. 19, No. 10, October 2004 issue of Undercurrent carries my article entitled:

"Malaria and Divers; Even in Roatan there's a risk." http://www.undercurrent.org/UCnow/UC200410_issue.shtml

Go and have fun.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

What DV said ... plus

There is a vaccine that came out recently for the prevention of traveller's diarrhea. In Canada it's called Dukoral. It is an inactivated oral vaccine that is taken like Alka Selzer. It protects against cholera and ETEC (E Coli) for a period of about 5 years if you follow the schedule of 2 doses and a booster after 2 years (for cholera).

According to the military guys I have given it to the flavour is okay and the results were relatively positive (few complaints about diarrhea).

Enjoy the trip.

Other diseases you need to be aware of though may not encounter (depending on your itinerary) include Hepatitis A (usually from drinking dirty water) and (apparently) Bilharzia (the snail-borne illness you're talking about, which infests from immersion in some stagnant water).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom