Roatan - conditions after Wilma?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Virgogirl22

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just wondering if anyone has a sense of how Roatan is faring in the storm... I've heard reports both good and bad, thinking about heading to Fantasy Island in a week if things look good down there? Any news would be great!

Virgogirl22:
Just wondering if anyone has a sense of how Roatan is faring in the storm... I've heard reports both good and bad, thinking about heading to Fantasy Island in a week if things look good down there? Any news would be great!

So I am guessing you cancelled your trip to Coz?

Fantasy Island is the single most protected and absolutely the least affected resort by any weather that would pass near North to the Bay Islands. This is due to its harborage, breakwalls, and most of all it's Southside location.

Not in any way my first choice for diving in the Bay Islands, but if they had a few fronds of palm trees break loose- that would be about it.

If you've heard reports "both good and bad", and if "any news would be great", let me direct you to the "search" feature on SCUBA Board.

The Bay Island infrastructure is unaffected. Go, make bubbles, quit asking the same thing in different threads. It will be fine.

Virgogirl22:
This is the right forum for you questions girl, have a great trip.

Virgogirl22:
There are a few pix at http://www.divingonroatan.com/
Looks like some of the overwater restaurants have caved in...
Rick

Well... the CoCo View cam is back online, and I just saw 4 divers in the water. I would imagine they are ok.

Edit - well after further review... the cam is frozen. So let's hope they're ok.

Was at COCO View during Wilma - COCO View and Fantasy Island are fine since they are on the south shore - North Side of Island - not so good.

I would go ahead with Fantasy Island plans.

I've heard from friends on Roatan that other than a few places in West End (Sueno Del Mar/ Eagle Ray, Bungalow 7/ C-bar {picture of green building and huge wave is there} and Seagrape) most damage was to docks and roofs from limbs falling. Roads are being cleared and they are due to get a shipment of fuel on Monday. Power, phone and internet service has been spotty but improving greatly over the last 24 hours. Seas are still a little rough, but there were a few dive boats going out (Fantasy Island was one of the resorts). At the airport planes are landing at taking off, but the computer system that handles reservations is down still. Many places in the road have fallen trees and limbs that are getting cleared out of the way. All in all, things are returning to normal and will probably be running just fine by next week- so go have a great time diving!

All of the photos shown on www.coconuttreedivers.com were taken in West End. The municipality has been brilliant in the clean up operation and we are hoping its business as usual Monday. The waves are still a little high compared to usual. Diving on the South side right now. Most of the damage caused by Wilma was in Sandy Bay and West End.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom