Roatan, Coiba or GC?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aw0825

New
Reaction score
We have a week is August 4. A dive focus trips, we are both advanced drivers. We haven’t dove in any of the 3 locations but we’re recently in Cozumel, looking for larger marine life, or a difference compared to Cozumel. Can anyone speak to seeing some of the larger (or Pelagics) in any of these areas in august?

GC, biggest thing you'll see is a yellow tailed damsel 🤣

Coiba, IDK

Roatan, I'd pick for your purpose, specially on the Aggressor where you can dive the sea mounts.... (Cayos Cochinos)

Coiba is a really different destination from the other two. You will definitely see bigger stuff, but it will likely be rougher, more currenty (is that a word?) and colder with thermoclines.

GC, biggest thing you'll see is a yellow tailed damsel 🤣

Coiba, IDK

Roatan, I'd pick for your purpose, specially on the Aggressor where you can dive the sea mounts.... (Cayos Cochinos)
Is it possible to see *some* bigger marine life in Roatan without doing a live aboard?

Coiba is a really different destination from the other two. You will definitely see bigger stuff, but it will likely be rougher, more currenty (is that a word?) and colder with thermoclines.
Yes I am super drawn to Coiba given it is pacific and will be vastly different than our last few dove destinations (Belize, Cozu). Concerned with the time and hassle of getting down there from Panama City and hoping it would be worth it? 😬

Is it possible to see *some* bigger marine life in Roatan without doing a live aboard?

Nope... I have ~50 dives on 2 different trips different times of year and the only big things I saw were the Caribbean reef sharks @ cara a Cara - which can be an add on dive from the island

But Cayos is secluded and too far for day boats, you'll have it all to yourself and has potential for big stuff.

That being said, I'll never dive Cara a Cara again. Heartbreaking if you love sharks

Roatan on a liveaboard is wasting money. Cayos Cochinos is often a rough ride and over-hyped. The other sea mounts, same. There’s great dive opportunities on Roatan, esp CCV, but nowhere off the rock will you find “big stuff”.

Roatan’s canned shark dive, Cara a Cara, is no better or worse than any other Caribbean pay-per-view Donkey Show. There’s one at every rock that has a cruise ship dock. I don’t see anything that different or awful.

If you want “big stuff”, look beyond the Caribbean. If you are going to settle for sharks, look at very select few Bahamian out-island dive ops, or the Baja Cortez area aboard a vomit comet.

What you’re looking for (?) is a 8+ hr plane ride away.

Roatan on a liveaboard is wasting money. Cayos Cochinos is often a rough ride and over-hyped. The other sea mounts, same.

Unfortunately, the guide on the Aggressor isn't really in great shape physically and bc he said he was struggling with currents, decided that noone else could handle it. I was a little shocked bc if the currents were bad I'd think I would have at least noticed a little bit? Maybe the 100s of cozumel dives has its benefits...

We enjoyed the trip on the Aggressor, we picked it as the covid replacement to the Philippines Siren via shady Bluewater Travel.

Back
Top Bottom