Bonaire vs. Roatan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My buddy and I mostly dive cold water - Monterey Bay in CA. And mostly shore dives (even though I have an inflatable). I was in Cozumel decades ago - he has gone several times. We're both photographers (20' vis is good here, so it's a lot of macro). We're planning a trip for late summer 2023 and are bringing our non diver, but snorkeler, wifes. They don't need a lot of non-diving acitivites, but a live aboard to Socorro wouldn't cut it.

We're leaning towards Bonaire or Roatan, with a possibility for the Caymans. Want to stay on land. I've read several SB research and trip reports on each, but haven't seen any (maybe I need to look further) comparing them. What are your thoughts?

BONAIRE. My no-longer-diving wife loves it!

BONAIRE. My no-longer-diving wife loves it!
The single most cogent thing to be said, both islands offer great Caribbean diving.

Bonaire, a non-diver with a sense of fun can survive and thrive for a week. Especially if they Like taking pictures. Stark, white, pink, a true desert island. The bugs that are there can kill you.

Roatan, a non-diver better like sunbathing or drinking. Not really much else going on while you’re in a tropical rain forest environment. The bugs there might make you wish you were dead.

Diving? Each has it’s great opportunities. Both have their local beer.

Bonaire? Many AI-ish resorts will take you to a 2x morning dive, my fave is Klein Bonaire which is close and has great hiding places from the ever-present convection oven like winds. Afternoon, get tanks, load your gear and do any one of the great shore dives. The variety of food options is remarkable. Tap water is drinkable, driving a car is doable. They have a functional night life zone, but we always prefer the outlying local shack restaurants where you can get 7 varieties of goat, or less challenging plates.

Roatan? Two ways to do it . Guest house VRBO type, dive-op down the path. Actual AI (dive till you drop) dive resorts. I do not think a non-diver will find amusement beyond 2 days no matter which you select. Most visitors end up on West End guest houses. There is no ‘local’ food, but burgers abound. Drink bottled water only, driving is really a bad idea. I prefer the AI route because I came to dive, no better way to get BT. I am a Coco View fan boy, even over the #2 which is AKR. Lots of info here on SB to make that choice. Night shore dive at CCV every night. I get my 27/week and :) I have brought 4 non driving snorkelers to CCV and they went home with OW C-cards. The AI vs Day Dive debate is rife here, but fans are not always broadly experienced in the huge differences as they have only done it one way. You either come to dive, or not so much.

No real comparison to each other in night life. Bonaire is a modern-ish environ, a country cousin to Aruba/Curaçao, but whatever you might want, you can find…something. Roatan, you may be off at an AI, away from the noise of the West End, the WE is where the younger crowd night life is grass shack, loud music and beer.

I would not want to be in need of medical services, but Bonaire is where I’d ask for medical help. Both islands have some crime issues, but very little is personal f2f stuff. Bad guys know this is frowned upon. Bonaire has long suffered from endemic car burglaries at shore dives- research and act accordingly. Roatan has a recent WE history of pickpocket type stupid grabs. ATMs on Roatan are a sucker bet.

Diving? Once again, the reportage is heavily biased by lack of broad based experience (how many have really dived both islands to a great extent?) and trying to cipher out the trip report writers naturalistic observation skills.

I’ve been to both islands to have decided the the South shore of Roatan (thus CCV) was my regular 2 weeks/yr place. I’ve seen all the big apex Pelagics, now I get happy with maco and real micro critters, magnifying glass stuff. That is my bias created by my very fat log book. Excellent, close-in, shore snorkel, best on island.

Cayman, you threw that out as a spitball? A whole different world.

Your proposed time frame should keep you out of storm threats.

@Terry Feinberg , pick your next wives with greater care…__[:]@

Do both Islands. Pick one. Then, do the other. Broaden your base of experience. Post a report here on SB. <*}}})))>< happy fishes!

Bonaire, the snorkeling from shore cannot be beat. The shore diving is also fantastic. If you like interesting structure/terrain I would give Roatan the edge on diving. Roatan is all boat diving, some one else's schedule minimum number of dives to go out. Bonaire is 80-90% shore, with boats to Klein, and cliff facing sites. There is also the "wild side" east coast, but maybe Dave that for a return trip. Bonaire has some interesting to side activities, and there is no where on the island that feels sketchy. There is more to do top side on Roatan, but there are areas where you should not go at night, and areas you may feel uncomfortable during the day. A place not on your list but maybe an even better fit could be Curacao. Much like Bonaire but with a topside vibe similar to grand Cayman.

Look for trip and trip research reports by @drrich2 very thorough, helpful, and insightful.

Bonaire. I just got back from Roatan and it is boring for a non diver. Also, I think the diving is better in Bonaire; more fish life and colorful coral. Bonaire is also great for snorkeling. Although we enjoyed our trip to Roatan I wouldn't go back. However, I will continue to visit Bonaire.

Roatan for sure. My most desired place to return to.

Clearest water Ive seen yet. Hundreds of feet vis. Eagle rays and dolphins. Not too many fish, but enough to be worth it. Really cool reefs with soft bottom trenches through them. Go deep until ndl runs out, pop out of the trench to clear it, hit the next shallow reef. Nice long hour+ dives.

Not into shore diving, but ill do it. Give me a platform or a boat any time. Boats park right at the resort in Roatan. Felt safer in Roatan. Driving a rental car isnt a vacation to me. I prefer to walk everywhere, even Key West. So boats parked within a block of my hotel is a huge plus for me.

My Research Notes for Bonaire - My Research Note For Bonaire

8 Day Trip Report: Sand Dollar, Dive Friends

My Research Notes from planning a Roatan Trip - My Research Notes from Planning Roatan Trip

CocoView Trip Report May 2021 - Trip Report - CocoView Resort May 8-15, 2021

Bonaire is a 'get out and drive around the island' destination; Roatan seems to be one where people, as I've heard it put years ago, tend to 'stay on the reservation' (in their base area) more. Bonaire's main draw is a long stretch along with leeward west coast; it doesn't make a lot of difference where you stay near that (though if you have a preference for northern or southern sites, staying closer could knock a few miles off your daily driving). With Roatan location matters - so the difference between staying at CocoView Resort (where I stayed) or Anthony's Key Resort might matter more than Bonaire's Buddy Dive Resort vs. The Plaza.

With Bonaire, the focus is on shore diving; you can do boat dives (often 1 tank trips, which would annoy me). With Roatan, the emphasis is on boat diving, and that's probably all you'll do unless you stay at one of few places that offer shore diving (CocoView Resort, Reef House Resort).

CocoView Resort has a nice, large grassy shallow plateau where one could snorkel (saw an eagle ray there). If I took a non-diver to a Roatan resort, I'd look at their offsite excursion offerings. Maybe a trip to go see capuchin monkey's and sloths one day could break up the monotony?

But if you want boat + shore diving + topside activities for non-divers, did you consider Curacao?
Curacao Trip Research Notes

Curacao Trip Report with SB Surge Jan. 2019

Favorite shore dive sites on Bonaire, Curacao, and Roatan.
d003806.jpg

Karpata-Bonaire
PC230195.JPG

Playa Porto Marie-Curacao

Non Existent-Roatan

My wife is heading back to Roatan on Saturday, with a few girlfriends. My wife and one other will do some diving. The rest of the time they will be in floats outside of Sundowners/Sun Divers. They will go out to eat in West End and basically chill the whole week. We have a car there and they may go for a few drives if any of them decide for a change in scenery. They may also go make their own chocolate at the Roatan Chocolate Factory, walking there from West End. The whole week is a kick back and relax, and 3 of the 4 have been there before and do the same thing, mainly just chill with a few dives. My wife will do most of her diving there later in the year when we go as a family.

If you're good with just relaxing and do not need to be 'entertained' the whole time, Roatan is great, especially West End (take bug supplies though!). If you're looking for stuff to do, Roatan has some options, but the primary focus is either diving or chilling.

Reactions: Doc
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom