Roatan Bugs in Feb - Be Honest

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

UnderwaterBumbleBee

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Researching a possible family trip for this Feb and the destination is still up for grabs. We've been to Roatan two years ago around August (stayed at Anthony's Key), had our fair share of bug bites but I would still head back. However, we would have two adult non-divers and two kids ages 6 & 8 that would be with us.

Are the bugs better, worse or the same in Feb compared to the summer? Also, I was a little disappointed with the viz on some of our dives but I understand that could have been from runoff from the island. Is there any noticeable difference for this time of year? Primary reason for going back is that I loved the resort, lots of stuff for divers and non-divers to do at the property and we liked the wrecks and shark dive. Thanks! :wink:

Feb. is just at the end of rainy season so after months of rains and moisture the bugs are worse than they are in August when it is dry. The ground is still quite saturated as well so if it does rain there is a better chance of runoff in Feb as well. Sorry if its not what you want to hear but to did say to be honest

August is the beginning of "rainy season". February is about 7/8th of the way through.

Do some research here and note the weather patterns of "Northers" can be quite impactive on the Northern and Western shores of Roatan in February. These are caused by massive arctic cold fronts that push as far South as Texas. Not the most common thing in the world, but they can be counted on to show upo several times a year. Just think of February in the Midwest. When they arrive, they bring rains with heavy wind and wave, again- impacting this North & West area where AKR is severely.

You are correct in thinking that the lessened viz is from island run off. Although this N&W area is under much increased land development, great viz is simply not one of the deciding factors to use for a trip to Roatan. There are many places in the Caribbean with better viz, there is no where else like Roatan which offers the kinds of critters, diving access, and generally yet-to-be-spoiled island life.

The bugs? Better or worse in February versus August? Sure they are.

You'll get all sorts of answers on that one, but again- good explanations of how and why the bugs congregate and feast on human blood are here on SB. It is really very simple- they like calm air and lots of wet decaying vegetable matter. If you understand the island and it's architecture (from numerous previous posts), you'll already know where not to be lollygagging (feeding the little devils). There are other places on the island that these are at a minimum. Prepare for the worst (apply DEET but rinse it off before diving), but expect the best.

AKR is well accustomed to 6 & 8 year old kids, but I hope they are interested in snorkeling. Maybe the two adult non-divers will take them around the island, but to say "there is lots of stuff for non-divers to do" at AKR might be pushing the definition of "lots".

All you need is Cactus Juice. We are big fans of Roatan and make a couple of trips a year to our favorite dive spot. I make sure to stock up on Cactus Juice. When we wake up in the morning we lather it on while sitting on the balcony drinking coffee. If I'm going out in the evening I reapply after the afternoon dive. I have had NO PROBLEM with sand fleas since I started this practice.

Keep in mind...Cactus Juice will not repel mosquitos, so you will need to take that into consideration.

There are always bugs in Roatan. I think they are worse in summer than winter, but that is just me. Bring lots of bug repellent with at least 20% DEET. Keep it with you on the dive boat because the bugs wait at the dock and go wild when the boats land. Don't scratch. No see um bites itch for about 15 minutes and then go away if you do not touch them.

How are the bugs in February by Reef House Resort? That hotel says that they have no issues with no see 'ums or mosquitos, since they have no beach.
Any comments?

Thanks! Please do let us know. Have a great trip! :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom