Roatan Bugs in Feb - Be Honest

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I will report back, however you need to know that I live a couple of hours north of you in Muskoka. We are the breeding grounds for hordes of blackflies, mosquitoes and dearflies. When the tourists are complaining of how bad the bugs are I'm usually thinking it's really not that bad.
I will be spending my second week in the West end so I will be able to compare the two areas.

Bring lots of bug repellent with at least 20% DEET. Keep it with you on the dive boat because the bugs wait at the dock and go wild when the boats land.

I'm certain he means that you should apply DEET after you have finished diving for the day. DEET will hurt the reef. Cactus Juice does not contain DEET and works great!!

I am in West End now. There is so much breeze the bugs are not bothering anyone.

Hi all..i'm sorta looking at planning a trip to AKR for 2010. From reading, it seems like March-June is the best time? I'm not to terribly concernced about bugs as i am with weather. rain, surge etc.

Also..looking at going to Copans, probably as an overnight trip. I've always wanted to see the ruins. The site mentions that airfare from the key to the mainland is extra, but doesnt go into details. Is there a special charter for this or anything?

we just got back from FIBR. And i would agree that with the wind we didn't have any problems, unless we were on the beach itself. Our last day there and the wind stopped and we got eaten up pretty bad. But that was our fault because we didn't use bug repellent very much at all that week, and we were caught uncovered.
I will tell you though, we had a good time there, but I would not bring non divers at all, because anyone who was on the beach got eaten pretty bad . wind or no.

Back from Roatan after two weeks. One week on the south side and one week on the north.
Sand flies are slighty worse on the north side compared to the south, however if appropriate use of insect repellant used not much of an issue at all. Talked with several families that had young children playing on the beach almost every day all week and none of them had bug issues but used bug spray on a daily basis. I personally found that Cutter Advanced was the most effective however it is not available in Canada. I would not let the sand fly issue influence my decision if or when I visited this lovely island paradise.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom