Roatan and immunizations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chasisia

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My wife and I are travelling from the US directly to Roatan, Honduras (via IAH) for a seven day holiday and were curious how many people actually prepare for this with getting the recommended CDC imunizations - Hep A, Hep B, Tetnus and Malaria.
Looking at the costs for the drugs alone almost equal the cost of our stay at AKR for the week. I've been looking throughout the forums and have not seen anything from people who traveled there and came back infected and sick.
We don't plan on letting the cost of the meds deter our decisions but we have traveled the Western Carribean in the past and have not heard of any "ill" stories.

Has anyone Been There, Done That?

Thanks

There has been a fair amount of discussion on this in the past, especially malaria, so hopefully the search feature will help you out a little (sometimes not much comes up).
I have the Hep series already (work law enforcement) which is not a bad idea whether you travel or not. Tetnus - you should already be up to date on? Malaria - some take meds some don't. I went to Haiti shortly after the earthquacke and felt it foolish not to take malaria precautions. I've been to Roatan a few times and never considered it a real issue there. When you looked into the cost of the treatments did your physician have good information for you or suggestions on what to get?

I have done my Hep a and b, As any traveler probably should, Just renewed my tetanus and always use anti malarials

I recommend getting the Hepatitis series whether you travel or not. Same with Tetanus. Also, I suggest you keep them up. Sometimes booster shots are required. In terms of malaria, there are differences of opinion with that. I usually get antimalarial meds. Others don't. When it comes to cost, I suggest checking with your nearest local health department. They may offer these vaccines at a discount.

I recommend getting the Hepatitis series whether you travel or not. Same with Tetanus. Also, I suggest you keep them up. Sometimes booster shots are required. In terms of malaria, there are differences of opinion with that. I usually get antimalarial meds. Others don't. When it comes to cost, I suggest checking with your nearest local health department. They may offer these vaccines at a discount.

We got our immunizations from the public health department. I think they were around $75 for the Hepatius A and B, Tetnus and Typhoid. The Typhoid and Tetnus require boosters, the Hepatitus is good for life. Malaria prophalactics are reasonably priced. Here you can get the shots and they will give you a script for the Malaria pills. You can also get another script for Cipiro. It is cheap insurance if you ask me. Prices were significantly higher at the doctors office and the travel immunizations office we checked with.

Are there any side effects for the anti-malarial pills? Also, about how much do they cost. We're going for a week in the fall. Thanks!

Are there any side effects for the anti-malarial pills? Also, about how much do they cost. We're going for a week in the fall. Thanks!
There are "possible" side effects to just about any pill you ever put in your mouth, even baby aspirin, I have never noticed any nor has my wife, friends or family I have travelled with who have taken them. The cost varies depending on where and what kind, My chloroquine is quite cheap, It is best to talk with a medical professional who is knowledgable in travel medicine so you can then make your own informed decision. Read through these boards and you will find some take them, some don't, some had wild crazy side effects. some don't some take chloroquine, some Malarone and there are others out there as well

I was down there a month ago. Before I left i had my yearly physical and asked my doctor if/what i should take. He checked the WHO website and informed me that according to them I should be immunized for malaria and typhoid. The malaria was a piece of cake but the typhoid pills really did a number on me after the second pill so I threw them out. They gave me some crazy side effects like numbing of my face and lips, weird sensations in my head (no comments) and just a general feeling of not being able to concentrate. I threw them out. It took about 3 weeks for the symptoms to disappear.

Not while i am in no way advising that anyone do as i but I'd rather take my chances then deal with that crap.

Side Effects of Anti-Malarials
[SIZE=-1]Like all medicines, anti-malarials can sometimes cause side-effects:[/SIZE]
Proguanil (Paludrine) can cause nausea and simple mouth ulcers.
Chloroquine (Nivaquine or Avloclor) can cause nausea, temporary blurred vision and rashes.
Patients with a history of psychiatric disturbances (including depression) should not take mefloquine as it may precipitate these conditions. It is now advised that mefloquine be started two and a half weeks before travel.
Doxycycline does carry some risk of photosensitisation i.e. can make you prone to sunburn.
Malarone is a relatively new treatment and is virtually free of side effects. It is licensed for use in stays of up to 28 days but there is now experience of it being taken safely for up to three months.
No other tablets are required with mefloquine or doxycycline or Malarone

Different geographical locations require different types of medications based on the strains of the disease, I can't remember what Roatan falls under but a quick internet search will tell you.

I thought the last time I bought them, they were around $200 per person????

Malarone is a relatively new treatment and is virtually free of side effects.

This is why it is best to speak with a medical professional knowledgabe in travel medicine. Malarone has plenty of possible side effects. some of which
may include nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain, headache, ,diarrhea weakness, loss of appetite, and dizziness along with the same possible liver problems as other meds. Just google malarone side effects or whatever drug, and you can find all kinds of information, just remember, the side effects are "possible" doesn't mean probable or problematic.

I thought the last time I bought them, they were around $200 per person????

WOW, What drug was that for? I use chloroquine which is fine for Roatan and its like 6 dollars a pill at my pharmacy, If cost is really an issue you can also just get the one that you take the week before and then buy it on the Island for $1-$2 dollars a pill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom