Road Trip to North Florida, New Year's 2004

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanx for the warning.I'd like to welcome my fellow Texans and warn you that you might not leave.I came with the USN and stayed because of the diving and fishing.I believe you'll find it's only 72 at the surface at 40 fathom(actually 39)grotto.It can get into the mid-60s.It shouldn't be crowded that time of year.Be prepared to see some Scuba follies as new tech divers get to carry all thier gear up+down 2 flights of stairs.They teach OW to Mix and some cave skills are done there.Hal runs a nice place and he is a class act.

Sounds like a cool idea to me. I've already got 4 trips in to Florida this year, and will have another 2 in by Thanksgiving. What's one more?

I've got potential for 5 people to go. Me, my regular dive buddy, plus 3 more that want to start their cave training. If this is a "go" for us, we will take our own vehicles/trailer but may convoy along with ya'll for the trip. More people might allow a group rate on hotels or something.

I'll see what my contingent wants to do and monitor this thread for progress.

Any chance you guys would want to venture over to Crystal River during your trip for a day of diving wiht manatees? I few of us here in Florida would like to meet up with yous and do a mantee dive. Let's me know.

That could be a possibility...

Where is it in relation to Ocala/Orlando?

(Where's Pete [NetDoc]?? I thought for sure he'd be in this thread by now!)

CaveDiver.... Be nice to have you and company aboard. As we get closer, we'll work out the logistics and link-up details.

TexasMike once bubbled...
That could be a possibility...

Where is it in relation to Ocala/Orlando?

(Where's Pete [NetDoc]?? I thought for sure he'd be in this thread by now!)

CaveDiver.... Be nice to have you and company aboard. As we get closer, we'll work out the logistics and link-up details.

Crystal River is located on the gulf coast, maybe an hour from Orlando/Ocala area, just kinda straigh across I think (no map near by). Maybe we can rent a pontoon boat. Bird's Underwater is a good op over there, with a hotel right next door.

NetDoc is playing hookie today and went diving.

I would love to get in on it but I am covering for another guy at work over new years. if you have another one I may be able to make it .although I am more interested in spearfishing than caving .
Chris Joens

Joens -- schedule is not set yet, so we might still be able to include you. Keep tuned to this thread as we develop the details. And I'm not a caver either, so the primary focus of the trip is more experience other places and possibly knock out some training dives that the Grotto is really good for.

We should be able to find all sorts of dives that you'll have fun with.

Wendy once bubbled...
Crystal River is located on the gulf coast, maybe an hour from Orlando/Ocala area
Geez... Drive 2 hours in any direction and get a whole host of choices for dive sites.... You sure know how to make this Texan very jealous!!

So if i am reading this right, there is a TX trip with possibilities of FL Divers joining and possibly even from SC?! This could be a very cool, long weekend of diving!

hmm this thread has been dormant for a while and was wondering if this was still in the works because i hadnt heard anything, but its getting into the time frame where i need to start making plans for the christmas time frame (ie seasonal work, and potential travel arrangements)

mike you still online or working like a dog north of the big D

Back
Top Bottom