RMO - what's everybody doing this Labor Day weekend, Sept 5-7th?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You can sleep on the boat Friday, just show up after 5PM and it should be no problem.

If you are flying, you want to use Long Beach airport if possible. It is a lot closer than LAX.

GE normally books through dive shops so they so not have rentals / weights. Maybe they can work something for you. Maybe someone can schlep some for you once we figure out who is going. If I go, I would not mind doing so (for a couple of beers of course:), but I an not sure I can pull it off, I need to find someone to carpool with.

I called the Great Escape, but the lady (Joy I think) didn't have the anwsers to a few of my questions. Nice lady though.

Are you able to sleep on the boat Friday night?

I assume you're driving so tanks and weights are probably not an issue for you. She thought they could find me a tank and some weights, but wasn't sure. I understand many charters don't supply tanks and weights, but I'm surprised they don't have more information on a shop to rent them from. I guess maybe they don't get many people that fly in?

Sounds like a great trip. Any other Colorado folks thinking about this?

yes, you can sleep on the boat....... in fact, since the boat is leaving for San Clemente island in the middle of the night, you had better be sleeping on the boat or you won't be going!

Joy is nice, I think she is Tim's sister, but she doesn't know alot about the trips and I don't think she even lives in the area. No tanks are available onboard, if you fly in you will need to go to a local dive shop and pick some up. Most boats in Calif don't supply tanks and weights as most people diving on the boats there live in Calif and own them. Are you renting a car when you get there? If so, I might can get you a list of dive shops in the area so you can rent. Or maybe we can work out a way that someone driving can bring you tanks and weights (right now it looks like we have a small group from here going).

robin:D

FYI if you do have to rent consider that Sport Chalet lets you pick up the tank the day before and return the day after. They are also open late, so you can pick up on Friday, return Sunday evening and pay for 1 day. Note: I am not endorsing sports chalet as a great LDS, only that their rental policies and hours are favorable for your situation.

I just figured out my schedule and I am clear to do the trip with one of my sons. Anyone else from West Texas interested in car pooling?

I'm in. I have a couple of friends I'm working on as well. I'm pretty sure at least one will make the trip with me. It should be a great trip.

:banana:yeah! :banana:
Looks like we might have a group forming now. :D

Robint & Ront
GrumpyOldGuy & son
bikefox & friend
Gabe - maybe (not on SB but attended our group picnic in March)
EricJ - maybe (lives in Calif, regular on the Calif Forum and we have done this trip with him twice)
MikeMeagher - maybe (regular on Calif Forum, another video geek)

anybody else?

Last edited:
Well I'm in for sure. I've already booked a flight and a spot on the boat. My freind (Eric) just needs to book his airfare, but I would trust that he is in. We fly into LAX Friday afternoon. Then we have to get some tanks and weight. I have called around and have some shops in mind. Our only problem is we arrive at 4:30pm and the shop I wanted to use closes at 6pm. We have a backup that closes at 8pm though. Anything out of the ordinary we need to bring?

I'll be on a Scuba Cruise to Grand Cayman, Roatan, Belize, and Cozumel.

Robin, I too would like to do that trip sometime. Last year Ron talked about getting an RMO trip out there, but things changed. Maybe we can try again, but I can't go over Labor Day.
Hi (and hi everyone else in the RM, first post but lurked here for a while now) ... is your trip on the Carnival Legend? My GF and I are finishing up our OW certification here and then taking that cruise on August 15th (only diving GC and Roatan though). We were in class with a couple (Rob and Marina, if I remember right) at A-1 who are going on the Legend in September as well, seems like a great cruise for diving locales.

Oh, and sorry to slightly derail from the OP =)

:banana:yeah! :banana:
Looks like we might have a group forming now. :D

Robint & Ront
GrumpyOldGuy & son
bikefox & friend
EricJ - maybe (lives in Calif, regular on the Calif Forum and we have done this trip with him twice)
MikeMeagher - maybe (regular on Calif Forum, another video geek)

anybody else?

:D
We have a couple more friends thinking about going. Anybody else???

Update - just heard that Capt Tim says we will probably be stopping at Farnsworth Bank Sunday morning. Wooo HOO! Of course, this is dependent on calm seas and that the divers onboard are up to it. :D

For those of you who haven't done it, Farnsworth is a group of underwater pinnacles off the west coast of Catalina. They are deep, 85' before you see the first one, and they go deeper from there. But, since they are off the coast, the water tends to be very clear and the fish very large. :D They are also home to the very rare purple hydrocoral, take your lights on these dives so you can see all the amazing colors! :D

Farnsworth_anemone009.jpg

Farnsworth_reef035.jpg

Great Escape website: http://diveboat.com/

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom