RMO - what's everybody doing this Labor Day weekend, Sept 5-7th?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

robint

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
hey gang,
Where is everyone diving Labor Day weekend? We are looking at some options out in Calif. We might can get a group/carpool going from various locations or those who would rather fly, maybe we can take tanks for you and work out airport pickup...:D Anybody interested?

robin:D
kelp queen
last years trip: http://www.rnrscuba.net/Calif_08/CaliforniaTripReport_Aug2008.html
Kelp_at_the_surface1679.jpg

I am actually going to be in Northern California that week, and was thinking of diving near Monterrey the weekend before or over the long weekend.

Robin, what where you thinking, shore diving up north, liveaboard, daily charters, staying in Catalina and diving there?

I am interested, but I will be in Coz the week before so I would be running on a very limited budget and as far as getting down there I would need to get picked up at the airport or arrange other means of transport to the final destination or dock if you where thinking of a liveaboard.

Justin,
man I'm jealous, I've been researching Monterey bay and I really want to go out there. a few weeks ago I bought a few books, one on just the aquatic life in Monterey.
I found a hostel there that is 4 blocks from Macabee beach and a few blocks from a dive shop that is only $22.50 for a dorm and they serve you pancakes in the morning :D
It seems like there are a decent amount of shore dives all within a close range so if one site isn't good, you drive down the road a mile or so and check out the next. seems really cool.

Robin, what where you thinking, shore diving up north, liveaboard, daily charters, staying in Catalina and diving there?

I am interested, but I will be in Coz the week before so I would be running on a very limited budget and as far as getting down there I would need to get picked up at the airport or arrange other means of transport to the final destination or dock if you where thinking of a liveaboard.

Justin,
man I'm jealous, I've been researching Monterey bay and I really want to go out there. a few weeks ago I bought a few books, one on just the aquatic life in Monterey.
I found a hostel there that is 4 blocks from Macabee beach and a few blocks from a dive shop that is only $22.50 for a dorm and they serve you pancakes in the morning :D
It seems like there are a decent amount of shore dives all within a close range so if one site isn't good, you drive down the road a mile or so and check out the next. seems really cool.

Nothing for certain yet...... we were looking at the Great Escape 2-day trip, $295pp to San Clemente and Catalina. We haven't heard much from anyone about interest in the trip. Tonight Ron is teaching OW class and I think he will chat with his DMs and see if any of them are interested (Gabe and Chuck for those of you who attended the RMO gettogether in March).

I would love to see some of our group from March go on this trip! It would be a blast. :D Ronfrank? Where is all your CO gang? Anybody interested? Amascuba? Grumpyoldguy?

I'll be on a Scuba Cruise to Grand Cayman, Roatan, Belize, and Cozumel.

Robin, I too would like to do that trip sometime. Last year Ron talked about getting an RMO trip out there, but things changed. Maybe we can try again, but I can't go over Labor Day.

I'll be on a Scuba Cruise to Grand Cayman, Roatan, Belize, and Cozumel.

Robin, I too would like to do that trip sometime. Last year Ron talked about getting an RMO trip out there, but things changed. Maybe we can try again, but I can't go over Labor Day.

you know, no matter what dates I come up with, it seems like people have already made plans. :wink: I just can't seem to get everyone together no matter how much I try! We are thinking Labor day weekend would be good as it means we only have to take 1 vacation day (Friday). And since the boat is a 2-dayer, it means it doesn't have to come back in to Long Beach, so we will be getting in 7-8 dives in the 2 days (one will be a night dive, Saturday night) at San Clemente. Boat will move to Catalina during the night and we will be up early Sunday to hit the water again. We did a 2-dayer with GE before and we got to do Farnsworth Bank. :dance3: Anyone into really good diving has heard about this place and knows that it is some of the best deep diving available in US. :D

San Clemente is some of the best kelp anywhere and looks like this:
SC_Diver_065.jpg

my video from last year: Diving at San Clemente, Channel Islands - Aug2008 on Vimeo

if the boat can't get to San Clemente island for some reason, it will go to Santa Barbara, where there is a huge sea lion colony:
[vimeo]1033208[/vimeo]

Farnsworth Bank on Catalina (back side):
Farnsworth_anemone008.jpg

and
Farnsworth_purplehydrocoral011.jpg

very rare purple hydrocoral found there

Hi Robin,

I am considering this trip, it is really appealing. I have been on the Great Escape 3 times now, each trip has been very good or great. The boat is big and an easy dive platform with lots of room for gear and relaxing between dives, very good food and a friendly crew.

I have to figure out logistic to drive out, perhaps a carpool. Its a long haul from Amarillo unless you have 2 drivers and airfare/car rentals are a bit expensive even if the boat cost is low. FYI the other alternative from here is the flower gardens charters, also 2 days but double the cost ($525 plus nitrox, which is needed there).

Doug

I called the Great Escape, but the lady (Joy I think) didn't have the anwsers to a few of my questions. Nice lady though.

Are you able to sleep on the boat Friday night?

I assume you're driving so tanks and weights are probably not an issue for you. She thought they could find me a tank and some weights, but wasn't sure. I understand many charters don't supply tanks and weights, but I'm surprised they don't have more information on a shop to rent them from. I guess maybe they don't get many people that fly in?

Sounds like a great trip. Any other Colorado folks thinking about this?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom