RMO - warning! Blue Hole update and it isn't good

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maybe as they dig and collapse it, they will expand it into the nearby caverns, creating a much larger divesite. Just looking at it from the cup half full perspective! :)

Thanks Kevin, I look forward to reading the updates.
Too bad they didn't dig in the parking lot over the hidden cavern. We could do wreck dives on the dozer.

You guys are having fun with this!!

No one went out yesterday, but since we are here today here's the scoop:

Boards were back in the outflow area when I got here this morning and the water was up to it's normal levels. The clarity of the water was a real surprise!! I haven't seen it this clear in quite awhile.

VERY pleasant diving for all!!

You guys are having fun with this!!

No one went out yesterday, but since we are here today here's the scoop:

Boards were back in the outflow area when I got here this morning and the water was up to it's normal levels. The clarity of the water was a real surprise!! I haven't seen it this clear in quite awhile.

VERY pleasant diving for all!!

Hey Kevin, thanks for the update. I'll see you tomorrow, keep the water clear for me :D

Very nice. Sounds like dropping the level a few feet for a few days helped the viz? What has been the cause of the awful change in of late?

Very nice. Sounds like dropping the level a few feet for a few days helped the viz? What has been the cause of the awful change in of late?
The explanation in clarity might be as simple as no one diving in it for a couple of days when it was impossible to get out...

Roak

The explanation in clarity might be as simple as no one diving in it for a couple of days when it was impossible to get out...

Roak
I suppose so. I just remember it being so much clearer 7 years ago...? :confused:

I suppose so. I just remember it being so much clearer 7 years ago...? :confused:
Ah, didn't realize what time scale you were talking about. When I first dove the 'hole in the mid-80s I jumped in with a snorkel to scout it out before I donned my equipment -- floating on the surface I could see individual rocks on the bottom. My how times have changed.

Roak

Ah, didn't realize what time scale you were talking about. When I first dove the 'hole in the mid-80s I jumped in with a snorkel to scout it out before I donned my equipment -- floating on the surface I could see individual rocks on the bottom. My how times have changed.

Roak
I didn't get into compressed air diving until 7 years ago, but it was that clear then I think. We never took lights to the bottom on day dives then.

It would seem so easy to fun a 4" to 6" hose from the gulley below the spillway, over the spill, down to the bottom, pinning it to the wall securely, start a siphon and let it go. It'd suck detritus from the lower depths 24/7; an extension might be added and repositioned to suck silt. There's more going into that hole than coming out as it is. Fish are not native to it; how long they been mucking it up...?

Roak
Yep, The good ole days......

Actually, (for whatever reason) it was quite clear this weekend for the most part. We got the OW group together and got in, I stuck my head under to check out the situation and I could see the bottom very clearly! Even toys that other divers have put down there, along with the electric guitar, on a stick.

Now that's a weird one! :dork2:

I like the little boat that says you have now done a "wreck dive"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom