Ripped Reg

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I replace hoses if I detect any leakage at all or any signs of faiiure. In 11 years of diving both hoses have been replaced at least once probably twice.

Your OP actually doesn't describe whether you put the hose in the water, after you heard the popping. But, a reasonable presumption is that, if you did go in the water with it after that, you may have noticed some bubbles forming along the sheath of the HP hose.

But, whether or not you did, and as I suspect you may have already concluded, periodic replacement of a HP hose (or LP, for that matter) is not unexpected. A number of factors, including UV exposure, can contribute to deterioration of the integrity of the rubber hose. It happens, it is simply a 'cost of doing business'. It is not a particularly expensive replacement item.

Don't bother trying to repair a hose if it starts leaking (bubbling along the length of the hose). Comments about electrical tape, etc. are simply not relevant. Just replace the hose.

And, as a FYI, if you feel the need for redundancy, consider a pony simple bottle.

And, as a FYI, if you feel the need for redundancy, consider a pony simple bottle.

OR redundant pony bottles:

spare-air-doubles.jpg

I have to replace hoses every 2-3 years; they don't last long doing sidemount wreck dives as a routine.

The bulging/popping is precisely why I use rubber hoses. Nylon braided is tougher, but conceals failures in the inner hose.

OR redundant pony bottles:

spare-air-doubles.jpg

That's a start.

I replaced all my weights with 6CF ponies. -1.4lbs per pony = 12 ponies when I'm in donning a 7mm wetsuit.

I've got a friggin' cavalry strapped to the body.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom