Ripped Reg

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TMHeimer

Contributor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Dartmouth,NS,Canada(Eastern Passage-Atlantic)
# of dives
1000 - 2499
While donning my gear I must've gotten my console stuck behind the tank and pulled it. The rubber outer part of the hose just broke apart --as if sliced across with a knife, making a popping sound. Is this common?

Not unheard of. The outer jacket on most scuba hoses is perforated at ~1 inch intervals to allow the air space in the braid to equalize. Sometimes I notice mine weeping after a dive when water has been forced into the braid. As the outer jacket fails from time, ozone, exposure to hydrocarbon contaminants, and UV, it weakens. The pops occur as the jacket rips between perforations.

While donning my gear I must've gotten my console stuck behind the tank and pulled it. The rubber outer part of the hose just broke apart --as if sliced across with a knife, making a popping sound. Is this common?

How old is the hose? I tend not to trust hoses beyond five years. I know it is blasphemy and that the hoses are good forever but I have seen many fail in similar manner or just start fizzing. LP hoses can separate inside and while they may look fine from the outside could collapse and restrict airflow. HP hoses, well, they can go boom which is entertaining but usually they just fizz.

I consider hoses a consumable item subject to replacement and requiring frequent inspection.

N

Not unheard of. The outer jacket on most scuba hoses is perforated at ~1 inch intervals to allow the air space in the braid to equalize. Sometimes I notice mine weeping after a dive when water has been forced into the braid. As the outer jacket fails from time, ozone, exposure to hydrocarbon contaminants, and UV, it weakens. The pops occur as the jacket rips between perforations.
Thanks that explains it. The hose may be over 11 years old, as I don't believe it was ever replaced, though I'm not sure to be honest. I have regular maintenance done.

Thanks that explains it. The hose may be over 11 years old, as I don't believe it was ever replaced, though I'm not sure to be honest. I have regular maintenance done.
Black electrical tape works well...but I would probably look into diving manifolded doubles for a little redundancy in case the electrical tape didn't work.

I consider hoses a consumable item subject to replacement and requiring frequent inspection.

Yep, in my experience a lot of shops will just give the outside of a hose a quick look and not bother with them when servicing a reg. I make it a point to replace my hoses every few years.

Black electrical tape works well...but I would probably look into diving manifolded doubles for a little redundancy in case the electrical tape didn't work.

Because buying a doubles setup in less expensive than getting a new hose?

Back
Top Bottom