Right calf cramps. Why? solutions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

most of the folks are right on...stretching and hydrating. water isn't enough for me during exercise, i need to replace my electrolytes as well, especially potassium. i take my own 32 oz. bottle of diluted gatorade with me on every boat trip. typically we do 3-4 dives on each trip. i consume the entire bottle during the course of the day and it works like a champ to help prevent dehydration and subsequent cramping.

whoa...this is too weird...I also use apollo bio pro fins...and my right calf has a tendency to cramp up during dives as well....I'm not exactly in the best shape of my life, but then again, I don't really consider scuba diving the most physically demanding sport. I've tried stretching my legs before going in and in between dives and it's still cramped up the last 3 dives..always the right calf.... strange isn't it?

jeez another old thread, I go to check it out and I already replied over a year ago!!

When I get cramps it's usually in the left leg, I'm left handed/footed, perhaps for whatever reason it goes to your strong leg [I'm a frickin genius :D]. But hydration, light stretching and bananas does the trick and I usually don't have a problem anymore at least on the 1st dive, have to make sure to rehydrate before the second or one may creep up on me.

This certainly started as an old thread, but since it has been resurrected... <g>

There is much myth around cramping, and some of this myth long since discarded by physiologists is still propogated by both fitness and medical professionals. This is mainly because telling people to drink water and eat bananas, for example, is certainly good advice and won't do any harm, so there is no one getting too excited about this.

That said, most people just want the cramping to stop, so it's best to have the right info. Bottom line, as others have said, exercise associated muscle cramping is believed to result from acute muscular fatigue and a resulting "feedback" loop. Strengthening and stretching are the only two "treatments" shown to effectively reduce EAMC.

I have two articles on the topic at http://divefitness.com/html/articles.html, including one that discusses the research on the subject and where the myths come from in the first place.

Cameron

I might also add that you should check your form to make sure you aren't using your lower legs for most of your propulsion. I did all of the things suggested here and still got cramps. Both legs.

A couple of weeks ago I decided to work on my frog kick and was using my core muscles more than those in my lower legs. No cramps. When I went back to flutter kicking I tried to do the same thing. Concentrated on using stomach, back, glutes, hamstrings and quads. I tried to just relax my lower legs and pretty much let them flop. I haven't had a cramp since.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom