Right calf cramps. Why? solutions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bosshogg357

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I went diving these past two weekends. I am a new diver(or at least return from a long time ago). I am in my early 30's. I have gotten a right calf cramp during each dive. It seems to start relatively quickly in the dive. I then grab the tip of my fin to relieve it. I then feel it lurking the rest of the dive just waiting to cramp up again. I try to use that leg less so it will go away but it seems to be just barely under the surface. It tends to be sore the next few days from the cramp (or stretching to relieve the cramp).

I have apollo split fins.

Any suggestions as to what I might do to help prevent the cramp in my right calf?

Thanks!

I was diving this last weekend too, and my right calf is sore too. I think we need to exercise more.

this happened to me on my 1st 2 OW checkout dives, I also got some hamstring cramping at the surface on my 2nd dive.

I fixed it by really hydrating myself with alot of H2O during SI's, and stretched for 5-10 minutes right before my next 3 dives, did the trick, I didn't have any cramping or residual effects from the previous cramps.

Try hydrating, electrolytes - drink a sports drink before you dive. Exercise and stretching (stretch before the dive) should help. The fact you use bio-fins would make me think you are less likely to cramp - unless you are finning wrong or have a bad fit. Have an instructor or DM look at your fin's fit and your kicking style.

http://sportsmedicine.about.com/cs/leg_injuries/a/leg8.htm

Preventing Muscle Cramps To prevent cramps, you should also keep your body adequately hydrated. Children especially often do not drink enough liquids to replenish fluid lost during exercise. Some tips to prevent cramps:

Hydrate appropriately
Drink water at regular intervals, before you get thirsty.
Drink more than your thirst requires.
Drink a sports beverage if you are working in heat or sweating for more than an hour.

Before I started working out I would get cramps in my calvs when I stretched. After I Started that never happened again. So I assume that is what stopped it, try this,

Stand on a step with the ball of your feet on the step itself and you heels hangin over the edge, you will want something to hold onto, also. push the heels of your feet downward as far as you can strech them and then raise up and stand on the balls of your feet and stretch as far as you can go. Just do that 15 or 20 times and hold some weights if you feel you need to.

If you workout, your gym should have a machine for these.

bosshogg357:
I went diving these past two weekends. I am a new diver(or at least return from a long time ago). I am in my early 30's. I have gotten a right calf cramp during each dive. It seems to start relatively quickly in the dive. I then grab the tip of my fin to relieve it. I then feel it lurking the rest of the dive just waiting to cramp up again. I try to use that leg less so it will go away but it seems to be just barely under the surface. It tends to be sore the next few days from the cramp (or stretching to relieve the cramp).

I have apollo split fins.

Any suggestions as to what I might do to help prevent the cramp in my right calf?

Thanks!

I know that split fins tend to be easier on the legs but you should try another type of fin. I had the same problem with my leg in OW. The LD shop sold me some crap fins for $100 bucks! I tried another easier going fin (Genesis Response) and I have never looked back.

Anyway, try something else, the Apollo's although high quality, may be the wrong fin for you. You might try switching with your buddy for a dive. Good Luck!!!!

Yeah, sports drinks are the bomb! Ever since I started drinking Garotade before diving, I haven't had too many cramps (jinx myself why dontcha) I also start hydrating heavily the days (yes days!) before (as well as just prior and after) and increase my potassium (99mg tabs) prior.

I work some calf exercises into my routine at the gym (do some searches here, I actually found this site by looking for exercises to help diving) and that seems to help also...

Don't fret, they happen!

A muscle cramp is a sudden contraction of one or more muscles, in this case your calf. There are several causes, so look it each to try and come up with a solution for yourself.

The most common causes in athletes, or athletic activities, are:

- overuse (like writer's cramp from holding a pencil for extended times)
- stress (not work or wife related, but sudden impact or excess use on the muscle, like extreme weightlifting after a summer on the couch watching tv)
- dehydration (lack of water)

The only way to fix the first two is pre-diving stretching along with regular exercise of those muscles. Dehydration is of course fixed by staying hydrated, and beginning that well before the dive.

Now, a few of the more uncommon reasons are:

- Poor circulation: This would be the next thing I checked in a diver. Your fins could be too tight, the crotch/legs of your wetsuit could be too tight, or your booties. Check with a dive professional for proper fit.

- Pinched nerves: A few nerves pinched in the spine can cause muscle spasms and cramps in the leg area. This is probably not one associated with diving,.

- Potassium loss/deficiency: We stop producing it regularly later in life (probably not at your age), and some medicines halt the production. Diuretics (like blood pressure medicine) can do this as well. Eat a banana!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom