Rigging SPG questions.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ppo2_diver:
For those of you that use cave line, do you get the line wet first? I tried using cave line for my SPG. During a dive it became very stretchy and eventually the knot slipped through and separated from the bolt snap.

Make sure the line is nylon braided, and that you do a proper cave knot on it.

I've never seen that problem.

Is there an online site that sells cave line? Or an LDS in the LA area that would have it?

veggiedog:
I never understood the obsession with "submersible" with regards to "pressure gauge". All of my gear is "submersible", why qualify just the pressure gauge? Just to shorten "pressure gauge" to "SPG" (if so, why not PG...)?

I do seem to remember something about diving predating SPGs, and prior they just used surface PGs...

Because, not all gauges are submersible.:wink:

In the old day of double hose regulators, they checked their tanks with a "pressure gauge". We now call them "Tank checkers". So not to confuse the tank checker from the pressure gauge used underwater, they added the word submersible to it. Just another old school term that has carried over.

tau:
Is there an online site that sells cave line? Or an LDS in the LA area that would have it?
either just go buy a 50' finger spool, or you can go to Xtreme Scuba in Santa Barbara and buy a big @$$ roll of the stuff for about the same price without the reel.

tau:

Diveriteexpress.com

You might get "Free shipping" over $25 purchase.

In addition, you can use the old tank o-ring (I know it is an old method though, Please don't flame DIR concept here).

tau:

I've heard from cavers that you can also go to Home Depot and buy braided (not twisted) mason line, and get it in several colors (pink, yellow, white). I haven't needed any since I was told that, so I haven't done it myself, yet.

radinator:
I've heard from cavers that you can also go to Home Depot and buy braided (not twisted) mason line, and get it in several colors (pink, yellow, white). I haven't needed any since I was told that, so I haven't done it myself, yet.
At least at my HD they have a few varies of twined line but not braided, some 100% nylon some not, mostly seems to be #18.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom