Rigging SPG questions.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ppo2_diver:
For those of you that use cave line, do you get the line wet first? I tried using cave line for my SPG. During a dive it became very stretchy and eventually the knot slipped through and separated from the bolt snap.
It's never stretched like that for me. I tend to tie my line very tightly. After going around the hose and bolt snap a few times, I then wrap it between the two a couple of times and tie a square knot. Doing it this way takes the slack out of the line.

I leave enough end - about 1" and then burn them both down onto the the knot itself. This cements the knot. I have yet to have the knot fail doing it this way.

You have to secure the knot by melting the ends or with a drop of superglue.

ppo2_diver:
For those of you that use cave line, do you get the line wet first? I tried using cave line for my SPG. During a dive it became very stretchy and eventually the knot slipped through and separated from the bolt snap.

The ends of the line were melted and mushroomed out. I'm just curious if the line I used was real cave line. Cave line shouldn't stretch at all (I believe). But once I got into the water, the loop of line that goes around the SPG hose got bigger.

braided line wont stretch, but the twisted nylon line (which nobody should be using anymore) will stretch quite a bit and in the event of it snapping it will recoil real fast because of this.

O-ring around the hose with a small zip tie connecting the o-ring to the snap.

Secure enough for daily use -- the o-ring stretches a bit and adds a little "give" to the system.

But one good tug and the zip tie breaks. No knife needed.

A little experimentation is needed to figure out which size zip ties are strong enough to stand up to use, but are small enough to break with a tug.

submergeable presure guage

i've been diving all my life and just figured out what it stood for like a month ago, lol

the only stupid question, is the one not asked.

I never understood the obsession with "submersible" with regards to "pressure gauge". All of my gear is "submersible", why qualify just the pressure gauge? Just to shorten "pressure gauge" to "SPG" (if so, why not PG...)?

I do seem to remember something about diving predating SPGs, and prior they just used surface PGs...

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom