Rigging SPG questions.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gcbryan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I'm just finishing up rigging my BP/W and I still have a few questions regarding rigging the single ended toggle bolt on the SPG hose. I'm rigging it so that it clips off on the left waist d-ring.

I used zip ties to connect the toggle bolt to the hose but I found it somewhat difficult to use in practice. With practice I'm sure it gets easier but I'm wondering if there is a particular technique for uncliping the SPG to check it and if there is one way better than others for attaching via zip ties the bolt to the hose? Do you use 1 zip tie so that the toggle bolt can swing out or do you use two so that no movement is possible.

Any tricks, info, or techniques would be appreciated.

I use cave line instead of a zip tie...it seems to be a bit more flexible. Check out this link for an example of how to tie it (although the link shows a backup light).

radinator:
I use cave line instead of a zip tie...it seems to be a bit more flexible. Check out this link for an example of how to tie it (although the link shows a backup light).

I could not get the link to work. :(

Try clipping the SPG off to your left chest D-ring, with the bolt snap on the hose you should find that the SPG sort off hangs on your chest and all you need to do to check it is look down.

I'll second the cave line suggestion. Clipping and unclipping from a left waist d-ring is a one shot deal once you get some practice, even in gloves.

Clipping to a chest D-ring does let things be more visible, but it also is not as streamlined and I am old school enough to still believe that you never want to clip hoses, lines, etc across your midline as they become one more thing you have to undo to get out of the harness. So if you clip a left side SPG to a chest D-ring, it should be the left one, and that puts it in the same general area as the upper clip on the deco bottle and the wing inflator and I never liked the crowding that resulted.

I use inner tube rather than cave line. It's pretty tight getting around the hose and the snap but gives it a bit more flex (like a 1" retractor) and will break away if yhou pull hard enough. With a left hip D-ring well forward (I use 2) it is possible to read it without unclipping. At my age that sometimes requires a vitamin M (motrin).

DA Aquamaster:
So if you clip a left side SPG to a chest D-ring, it should be the left one, and that puts it in the same general area as the upper clip on the deco bottle and the wing inflator and I never liked the crowding that resulted.
That's why I don't do it either. I use cave line as well though Uncle Pug uses zip ties of death. :D

The one thing I do though is to always have the clip opening forward. I come from behind the d-ring and clip it off. My wrist is in more natural position this way. For a deco bottle, I face the clip opening backwards... This is what I've found works best for me.

For those of you that use cave line, do you get the line wet first? I tried using cave line for my SPG. During a dive it became very stretchy and eventually the knot slipped through and separated from the bolt snap.

Here's the link I tried to post before...

http://www.divetekadventures.com/Technical_attachCaveLine.htm

As for tying the knot, I use pliars to pull the line really tight, add a drop of super glue to the knot, and then burn the cut ends of the line to melt them and then use the pliars to "squish" the melted ends into the knot before they harden. I've not had my knot come out yet, and I use my lights to help pull my rig on over my drysuit dump valve (so it's got some tension on it and hasn't come out).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom