"Riding your Computer Up" vs. "Lite Deco"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This has turned into a more interesting and informative thread than most, waiting to see where it goes next.

Bob
Split fins?
Maybe bcd vs bp/w?
Snorkels?
How about low volume masks....

I'll bite. What if something breaks? Do you get hurt?
It depends...

You raise an interesting question. I'll attempt to make the "something breaks" situation as bad as possible with another question: How much tissue-loading trouble can you get yourself into with a DC?

With tables, you go to depth, time out, and surface at a required rate. Game over. You can make a multi-level dive to get a bit more down-time, but pretty much the same thing.

DC's are a whole different beast. I can stay down way longer with them, just keep riding up while staying at the NDL limit.

Boulderjohn informed me that PADI adjusted the navy tables to allow for more dives per day. Let's look at that:

Delta NDLs.jpg

Seems to me that they cut back the hardest (in down-time) around 70 feet. Could 70 feet be the sweet spot where you get enough time and depth to load slower tissues? I don't know...

Question:
Is it possible to recreationally "pump" slower tissues into becoming saturated by a carefully chosen series of "legal" recreational NDL dives using a DC?

So, if something breaks, the recreational diver comes up with two or more tissue compartments fully loaded. That would be a bad thing.

This has turned into a more interesting and informative thread than most, waiting to see where it goes next.

What constitutes recreational versus heavy drug use?

Can 'lite' heroin use be considered recreational?

Is 'lite' crystal-meth preferable to 'heavy' cannabis use?

What constitutes recreational versus heavy drug use?

Can 'lite' heroin use be considered recreational?

Is 'lite' crystal-meth preferable to 'heavy' cannabis use?

so are you saying we should never take drugs?

It depends...

You raise an interesting question. I'll attempt to make the "something breaks" situation as bad as possible with another question: How much tissue-loading trouble can you get yourself into with a DC?

With tables, you go to depth, time out, and surface at a required rate. Game over. You can make a multi-level dive to get a bit more down-time, but pretty much the same thing.

DC's are a whole different beast. I can stay down way longer with them, just keep riding up while staying at the NDL limit.

This is the question I take away from this thread. It may have been answered many pages back but...

What if I do a dive to 90 fsw or so. I hit my NDL and come up to 75 fsw. My dc gives me some more time so I stay there until I again hit my NDL and come up to 60 fsw where I get more time. At some point I will be gas limited so tissue loading may not be that great but what if I strap on a set of doubles. Now I can really ride the NDL.

... but what if I strap on a set of doubles. Now I can really ride the NDL.

At that point - you need to start thinking about AN and DP classes... Because the next step will be more than "lite" deco...
:)

This is the question I take away from this thread. It may have been answered many pages back but...

What if I do a dive to 90 fsw or so. I hit my NDL and come up to 75 fsw. My dc gives me some more time so I stay there until I again hit my NDL and come up to 60 fsw where I get more time. At some point I will be gas limited so tissue loading may not be that great but what if I strap on a set of doubles. Now I can really ride the NDL.

With most computers, it is impossible to carry enough gas to make it to the surface. You will always run out around 20 ft. But you wll be able to immediately surface when that happens.

No. Definitely not.
Sidemount is tech.
Sidemount is not tech. It is permissible under PADI standards to do your OW training in sidemount. If you go to Cave Adventurers in Florida, you will see a silhouette of a sidemounted diver in perfect trim on their sign. That silhouette was made from a picture of an OW student on one of his training dives.

Boulderjohn informed me that PADI adjusted the navy tables to allow for more dives per day.
[Sigh.] I don't know how many times I have had to tell you this. The PADI tables are not an adjustment of the U.S. Navy tables. They were created on their own after extensive study. They do, however, have shorter first dive NDLs than that study called for (and shorter than the U.S. Navy tables), which in part enabled them to have shorter surface intervals.

Back
Top Bottom